New wheels = exhaust and center cap problem

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I just put on some 4 lug 03 cobra (looking) wheels. The problem is that the back tire (passenger side) rubs on the tailpipe. I can push the pipe over but it just comes back against the tire. Any way to move it and keep it over or should I just pull it off and put some dumps on it?

Also, the front tires are having issues with the center caps being pushed off (due to the hub thing?). There is room on the wheels for a deeper center cap but where can I buy them from? I can add pics if needed.

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on whether your exhaust is welded or clamped, you may be able to get the tailpipe to adjust a bit farther inward by loosening the clamps on both ends of the muffler and rotating it down slightly, and then re-adjusting the tailpipe. I would try that first before taking a hammer to your tailpipe, personally, but either way would work, I suppose.

Also, I don't think the tire rubbing the exhaust is so much an issue of your wheels as it might be your tire width and/or the design of the exhaust, itself. Frankenstang had problems with her Flowmaster cat-back's driver's side tailpipe rubbing the tire because of the way the thing came welded (they weld the muffs to the flow tubes before they send 'em, which is stupid because it doesn't allow for much adjustment). Had to crank things around a bit and beat on some stuff to make them fit better before it ceased to be a problem.

I wouldn't run spacers just to eliminate the rubbing thing...you'll probably just end up rubbing somewhere else. If your pipes aren't the bolt on flange type and you can't loosen them and move them over, take it to a muffler shop and have them cut/weld and massage them over as needed for some clearance.

Yeah, wheel spacers aren't really an option for me b/c I don't like the idea of spacers on the rear tires.

The hammer thing could work but then I lose all the power from my "mandrel bent pipes":shrug:

They have been clamped in so I'll try to make some adjustments if I can. If I go to dumps will it make the car even louder on the inside? I want to avoid more noise on the inside of the car...it already has flowmasters on it and the noise is already too loud.

Any ideas on center caps?

FWIW, yes, dumps will make it louder inside of your car. It will also make it more smelly ... unless you like the smell of exhaust and/or the cheap (and potentially lethal) buzz you'd get from carbon monoxide poisoning. :D

Are these rims from a front wheel drive car? Sounds like it. Back spacing is much greater on front wheel drive. Unless you have some real poorly made rims, the rims designed to fit 4 lug fox should not need wheel spacers and should not have center cap problems. Take them back to where ever you got them.

Take them back to where ever you got them.

If only that were an option. I bought them from a guy while I was in TN (I live in AL) and he had them on his 92. I never asked about backspacing b/c I assumed they would fit...that is, if they were on his Fox then they should fit on mine.

Anyway, I got the exhaust taken care of at the shop (easy $25) but still haven't done anything about the centers on the front wheels. I'm worried about spacers b/c the wheels are already sticking out more than my pony rims. I'm not sure if I'll like the look of them sticking out another 1/4 of an inch. We'll see.

In regards to the centers, it is most likely the hub's axle nut cap and bearing cap that is protruding too far into the wheel.

That cap is a pretty soft metal, so just hammer it down until you get the clearance you need. That's what I did, and the center caps stay on fine.

For your rear tires to hit the pipes, you must of A: Had way too big of a tire on the car B:rim offset is pretty far off C: your exhaust must of been a mess.

I've had my car half a dozen ways, never has the tailpipes hit the tires.
You should take some pics, sounds like your rims may be sitting too far inboard and might look funny.

You sure all the rims you have are the same offset? Sometimes they look the same, but they are not. You wouldn't be the first person to mess that up.

You sure all the rims you have are the same offset? Sometimes they look the same, but they are not. You wouldn't be the first person to mess that up.

This is my vote, if they fit on his, either your tail pipes need to be moved, or the wheels may be front and rear spacific and have different offsets. I don't think that would cure the dust cover/center cap issue, but it might solve the rubbing.

Another thought just popped in my head. Maybe the guy you bought them from had the same problems which is why he sold them.

This could be the case. His story is that he sold his car right after he bought the wheels and didn't want to sell the wheels with the car. The only rubbing issues he had were the fenders rubbing the outside of the wheel. He had to roll the fenders and remove the quad shocks. I have neither of these problems.
I emailed the guy to ask about the center cap/rubbing the a-arm problems and he never emailed me back. I have a problem trusting people when I shouldn't....I guess.
I think the exhaust problem has more to do with the shop that just fixed my clutch. Long story short: I noticed that the exhaust was sorta rubbing my tires on the pony rims.:eek:

You should take some pics, sounds like your rims may be sitting too far inboard and might look funny.

I guess I'm not sure if they have the same offset. Here are a few pics:

100_2761.jpg

100_2763.jpg

100_2764.jpg

This picture shows you how much the front wheels stick out:

100_2762.jpg

The back tires are 285/40R17 and the fronts are 255/40R17

Attachments

• 100_2761.jpg
    100_2761.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_2763.jpg
    100_2763.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_2764.jpg
    100_2764.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_2762.jpg
    100_2762.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 87
Those tires are pretty wide, without the perfect offset, probably too wide.

I bet if the rears were 265's, there probably wouldn't be an issue.
But for your own sake, i'd measure all the offsets.