newbie and first question....

98CLLGFND

Sep 3, 2009
So I have a 98 with 4.10's and MAC pro dumps. I have slowly but surely been getting all the parts together to do a PI swap and have begun tearing it down. Im down to TC and crank pully. One question I have is do I need to remove the A/C compressor to get the cover off? According to Chilton and Haynes manual, you dont need to. Also, when I do the cams, does it matter what year I get the cams from? I know that certain years have pressed cam gears and others have their cam gears pressed on. The NPI cams right now have bolted on gears and their is a cam spacer in between the gear and the first cam journal. Im concerned that will the cam sprockets line up with the chains if I use cams with pressed cam gears? Also, when I install the new cams in, if they were bolted on gears, will the timing marks on the new gears be used to install it. I was concerned that the gears timing marks and key way are not in the same position on the new cams as they were on the older cams. Therefore, the timing would be off. I have a feeling this shouldnt be a concern but was just curious. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, I was thinking about going that route or maybe with Trick Flow, but Im like most people and dont have inordinate amount of money coming out my pockets. If I did, Id just take it somewhere, but hey, half the fun is busting your knuckles while working on it yourself.

OIC. Im debating about maybe spending the extra money, suck it up, and go with some FRPP PI heads from 50resto.com. If I go with these complete heads set up, Im gonna want the Romeo ones so my valve cover and TC will all bolt right back on and not have to change any bolts to studs or find new valve covers.