Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

That A hole body man we have in here was right when he cursed me by saying, "I think you have a bigger problem in there Nick.”
Neaner, neaner, neaner.......

I’m a painter.

That’s a pretty dang small rot spot though Nick. Good job on getting after it:nice:

Plus....new tool.....just sayin’

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Its amazing how much dirt gets in there. A guy told me to put some silicone packets down in there to help with moisture ( the little bead packs that come in a lot of packages...and shoe boxes ). He also told me to out them under my seats in little cloth baggies. I can imagine what that'll look like if I get pulled over and searched :eek:

Glad you decided to dig in there. Better to fix it than to let it haunt you for the next few years :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
My very first welder was a Lincoln flux core 110v piece purchased from HD. It works perfectly,...you just have to practice, and the thing will be one tool that you'll probably sell off before it stops being useful. Flux core wire makes a hell of a spattery mess, but a little bit of follow up w/ a flap wheel, and maybe a stiff wire wheel on a 1/2" drill and the weld is every bit as good as a mig welded version.

My very first welder was a Lincoln flux core 110v piece purchased from HD. It works perfectly,...you just have to practice, and the thing will be one tool that you'll probably sell off before it stops being useful. Flux core wire makes a hell of a spattery mess, but a little bit of follow up w/ a flap wheel, and maybe a stiff wire wheel on a 1/2" drill and the weld is every bit as good as a mig welded version.

Thanks Mike, I was wondering about the spattering. Thought I just needed practice. Im still tinkering with it, and will get the job done. Do you think its capable of welding on subframe connectors?

I regularly cheat.... I rigged my tool bar on the tractor to yank engines.wayy easier

Ha, I lack a tractor, strong overhead rafter, etc. Im just a plain old dude living in the burbs with minor tools. Good news is that I had someone come through for me on a hoist. Im going to pick it up after work today. Bad news is we are going out of town this weekend. All I need to do is unbolt the mounts, and its ready to come out. Maybe I'll get it done one night this week yet.

Plan C:

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 users
There's no maximizing required for now. Flux core wire make a a mess to be sure, but it burns hot, and will penetrate the material you're trying to stick together.

The only thing required in order for you to be a proficient mig welder is technique. Holding the gun at the right distance, moving it at the right speed, and either zigzagging, or making circles with the gun.

You'll be proficient in no time.

Reactions: 1 users
Got started welding the first plate in to fill the shock tower hole. I have a lot of pin holes, and am slowing filling them. I have to grind the welds back, so the replacement frame rail plate can also fit in and be butt welded around the edges. What a PITA getting the pin holes filled. Considering spraying it with etching primer, and smoothing over the pin holes with left over PBA from the bumper mod. Obviously I have to leave the outer edges bare metal for the next plate to weld to, but am I being too lazy wanting to fill those holes with something else for this inside plate?

20171002_195820.jpg

I'll be honest, on the right side I have a bigger gap than I should have started with. So those holes are because I have too big a gap to fill, and blast through when trying to fill them. I should have cut another tighter fitting piece, but am too far along to go back now.

@Davedacarpainter , what are your honest thoughts of my work so far?
Honestly Nick, it looks real nice so far. Don’t obsess with the little holes, filling them in isn’t going to add strength.

Just spray some weld through primer on the plate and weld the next one on.

God gave grinders to us that don’t have the prettiest welds. You mainly want solid welds. Besides, even if you could lay out a weld that would leave us all in awe in that area, you’d still grind them since you’ll want it smooth there.

When you’re done get some of that rattle can spray that has a tube attachment that’ll allow you to spray inside the subframe to cover the back sides of the welds.

You’re doing great.:nice:

Thanks buddy. This is my first time doing a repair like this, so I am obsessing a bit.. I did plan on spraying the inside with etching primer, as there are a couple small holes from the opposite side to allow it.
I can’t remember the name of the stuff, but there is a more durable coating you can buy in a rattle can made for insides of rockets.

Almost done. Primered both sides of both plates, got them both welded in, and smeared PBA over the welds of the outside plate to fill in pin holes. Gonna let it set up over night, sand and paint it all tomorrow.

20171003_192119.jpg

Reactions: 5 users