Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

Damn that sucks, what brand are they? The only ones I have purchased and installed were from wildrides and they were pretty stout.
https://wildridesracecars.com/shop/ford/79-04-mustang-battle-box-combo-package/

I've meaning to do this to my latest car but honestly got too lazy and am too far out from putting any drag radials on the car anytime soon

They are LMR's house brand that come in bare metal. Have an SMR sticker in them, but I dont know what that stands for. I dont plan on drag radials, but I have the axle out of the car, so why not. I have a 347 in the car, so who knows what the future may hold for it.

• Sponsors (?)

I learned that valueable lesson again tonight; you get what you pay for. Torque box reinforcements. When you buy the "on sale" house brand, they are all but worthless. At first I just thought the provided bolts were too long, and dug up my own shorter versions.

20180517_205951.jpg

Turns out the backing plate as well as my floor were just caving in before the bolts/nuts felt any sort of tight.

20180517_210746.jpg

I mean, I bet I wasnt hitting 20-30 ft lbs of torque on them and ended up bottoming out the threads on the provided bolts before I realized what was happening. Wouldnt you think that plate would be strong enough NOT to bend so that you could torque those bolts to say 40-50 ft lbs thus holding your torque boxes tightly against the bottom of the car? I mean if the whole thing can give that easily, how much added strength is it really giving your upper torque boxes?

Point to this story is if you buy this style of bolt in reinforcements, do yourself a favor and throw away the cheap long backing plates and cut yourself some thick plates that wont cave in when a skinny kid like me tightens down bolts with a 3/8 ratchet. Now I get to spend more money on thick metal plate and redo these PITAes.

End rant.

Edit: For the record, there are also no torque specs anywhere in the installation instructions. Might be handy to know.
The ones I put on the Orange and black car were from UPR I believe. (They looked exactly like yours) They also did exactly the same as yours until I welded the top plate to the floor before bolting the lower parts through.
I'd say that no kit is gonna fit perfectly given the difference between the cars as they come off the line. And bolting them is comparable to bolting on a set of SF connectors..( NOT recommended) The plates I had weren't any thicker than yours appear to be (.080 maybe).
I thought you had your new "Johhny Weld-rite" brand flux core welder? Whats wrong with welding the top plates to the floor? (other than setting your newly applied POR, and rattle canned under side on fire I mean)

The ones I put on the Orange and black car were from UPR I believe. (They looked exactly like yours) They also did exactly the same as yours until I welded the top plate to the floor before bolting the lower parts through.
I'd say that no kit is gonna fit perfectly given the difference between the cars as they come off the line. And bolting them is comparable to bolting on a set of SF connectors..( NOT recommended) The plates I had weren't any thicker than yours appear to be (.080 maybe).
I thought you had your new "Johhny Weld-rite" brand flux core welder? Whats wrong with welding the top plates to the floor? (other than setting your newly applied POR, and rattle canned under side on fire I mean)

Im not worried about the fit, just how flimsy that top plate is. I dont feel like it adds any strength when it can cave so easily.

As for welding, its just a lot of extra work. Ive already done the POR15, and my car isnt going to the drag strip. I probably dont even need these reinforcements, but its silly not to add them while the control arms are off the car.

I finally got around to finishing the upper torque box reinforcements. I still have to clean and paint the lower torque boxes before I can install the lower reinforcements.

I bit the bullet today. American Muscle has Eibach Pro Kit springs paired with Koni struts/shocks for $580. Thats enough of a savings versus Eibach's own shocks/struts that I decided to go ahead with that combo. I also bought MM full length SFCs, new spring isolators, a front sway bar, and rear axle housing rubber bushings.

My wife said today, "I wish you would just finish that car." Well, she asked for it, so here I go.

Reactions: 2 users
When I dropped my old rear shocks off the car, I saw just how bad they were. Aside from the rust, I could push them in and they would just stay compressed, lol.

20180610_154534.jpg

After finishing the upper torque box reinforcements, I was vacuuming out the rear seat area. Under the carpet, and under the sound deadening padding was a bunch of what appeared to be bird seed. How the heck could that have gotten under there?

20180610_171542.jpg

When I dropped my old rear shocks off the car, I saw just how bad they were. Aside from the rust, I could push them in and they would just stay compressed, lol.

20180610_154534.jpg

After finishing the upper torque box reinforcements, I was vacuuming out the rear seat area. Under the carpet, and under the sound deadening padding was a bunch of what appeared to be bird seed. How the heck could that have gotten under there?

20180610_171542.jpg
:shrug:

Today is my 35th birthday. I just picked up my Eibach springs and Koni shocks/struts from my local UPS facility. Surprisingly the pair of items shipped together directly from Koni in CA. Didnt realized they were affiliated.

20180619_134712.jpg

I had them held to avoid my wife from intercepting them on the porch. On the porch this afternoon will be my tubular front control arms, rear diff cover, and S550 5.0 badges. I think those boxes are enough for her to come across in one day.

Yet to be delivered/picked up is my new front sway bar, which is due in tomorrow. As I was leaving my house at lunch, I had to snap a pic of the car. Its sitting with its ass on jackstands, making the front lower than it really is. Kinda makes me wish I would have saved for air ride...

20180619_135406-1.jpg

Got permission from the Mrs to have this weekend to get down to business, as our last three weekends have been full of family events, and we are spending the whole 4th of July week with her side of the family.

The plan is to finish the POR 15 on the rear axle, swap on the new diff cover. Then finish the POR on the underside of the car. Once that is dry I can install my lower torque box reinforcements and get the rear axle hung and on the the new springs/shocks and hook up the braided rear brake body hose. Then switch to front suspension, and finally weld the SFCs on. They are last, because if I run out of time I would like to have it back on its feet at least. Its gone 30 years without them, it can go a little while longer if I dont get it all done.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
No excuse now....let’s have a contest.

You do all that, and I’ll weld the new muffie in place, and check the ring gear bolts, put the cover back on and fill it.

First one with their car back on the ground running wins.:burnout:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. Im sure I'll actually accomplish a third of what I want to get done, but whatever. Progress is progress, and the parts will be standing by ready for install when I can get to them. I'll update again as I go this weekend. This 34 11/12ths year old is going to bed now. Have to work tomorrow.

I forgot to order the MM axle bushing removal tool, and as of yesterday the only way to have it by Saturday was $64 in shipping. As Mike would say...:nono:

So tonight, with permission from the Mrs of course, I decided to try the drill trick. First side worked well, second side the bit broke. Once that bit was in the bushing, it wouldnt allow another one to spin around it. So out came the BFH and chisel, and 45 mins later the old bishes are out.

That is a relief, because I was thinking it may be a giant hold up come Sat morning. And I cant afford any hold ups with all I have to accomplish this weekend.

20180621_183542.jpg

Take note of how that center section looks as of tonight.

Reactions: 1 users