Nitrous

So I set flowing fuel pressure to 6 lb. And change the jetting on both kits.
1st .041n/.034n (was .041n/.038f)
2nd .057n/.047f (was .050n/.047f) Changed the ramp to .3 sec, 60 % to decrease the rich hit.
To my disgust there is virtually no difference. I check all my work and everything is as it should be.
Jetting is about 200 total for both kits,and I am pulling 8 total,3 on the 1st kit 5 on the second.

I have lunch and keep going over things in my head. Did I move the timing, prior to install ?

Put the light on it,and it is only 28* total. It likes 30-31* (today was a good day for 31) Wanting to stay conservative
I just bump it to 30*. Go for a test,grab the 1st kit in 2nd gear 4 k is 53 mph, as soon as it comes in (strong) I grab the 2nd kit
and blow the tires off,very sideways :D The tires(Hoosier quick time pro 28x11.50 -16 lb.) were a little cool.
Drove some heat into them. (Full tank,2 batt's in the back and 50lb of tools stuff.) Did 3 more 2nd gear hits,both kits
and it stuck all 3 times. Very happy,and i know there is more. It's cold out and I need to back it down until spring.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

How do you find that weather affects your tune ups? Anyone feel free to jump in here.

For example, hotter temps less timing or more, colder less or more? And what about humidity on jetting?

Cool thread, I want to keep up with this car.

Joe

The first update to the system, -6/-4/-4 Y in place of the -4/-4/-4 T. 6 Foot length of -6 feed line
sJJiEw3.jpg

to a Nitrous Outlet,1/4 turn shutoff.
2zpB0nN.jpg

a 8'' -6 to NOS high flow filter.
MtrSuUT.jpg

Another 18'' line to a -6 dual port adapter and -6 bottle nut.
DKvJd6f.jpg

New jetting was .047n/.038f 1st and .048n/.040f 2nd pulling 7*
no delay on the 1st kit,90 % 1/10 second on the 2nd
It was a little to clean 12.9 A.F.R. (bumped the fuel to .041/.042)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Had the car out yesterday. Was warmer out (48 vs 38 last time) between that and bumping the fuel jet,
A.F.R. was a safer 12.3-12.5 range on the bottle. (12.6 on motor) From the seat of the pants,the slightly
richer mixture seemed to make more torque.
When we get closer to spring,i will be giving this plate a try.
tCJa9LD.jpg

NOS Big shot,68 hole stainless.

Reactions: 4 users
A few upgrades on the car over the winter. The diff. had been a real (cost) compromise.
A spool took the place of the trak lock,and 3.73's (that I had) went in place of the 4.10's.
Strong enough,but not ideal on the street. Now the diff. is what I wanted in the first place.
New Eaton Detroit locker, 3.90 gear set and Hoosier 28 (28.65) x11.50 QTP's
The big shot plate went in a while back and the stand alone is now full of C16.
NGK -9 plugs (fairly cold) have been no problem on the street. I cleaned up the AFR's slightly,
Idle and cruise AFR's are 14.0-15.0
Rather cold blooded on start up,no choke/fast idle,once warm it idles well in the low 14's and cruise
is smooth at 14-15 .0 depending on rpm.

On a good road (read lots of rubber) With a .3 delay and a .3 progression on the 1st kit,i can get both kits on in 1st.
That was with .047n/.038f and .048n/.040f pulling 5 * ,i have since turned it up very slightly.049n/.040f .049n /.041F about 10 hp.
Note,the warmer temps (lower da's) are allowing larger jet spreads,more timing, more bottle pressure.

Reactions: 2 users
Have had the car turned down a little the past few weeks .044n/.032f .3 delay .2 progression,second kit
is .047n/.036f (160 total) I have a new favorite street tire,M/T 3055s with tubes.

Reactions: 1 users
Long time nitrous guy, and I can't help but add a little. Stages of nitrous is always better than progressive nitrous. The progressive setups chatter the solenoids to death.

I would buy some higher quality solenoids. I have spent way too much time recoiling and readjusting those small NOS solenoids only to have them jamb again. I have bought at least a half dozen solenoids in parts only to end up with one useable solenoid I use for a purge. I bought NX Iceman solenoids for actual delivery many years ago, and they haven't failed me yet.

Kurt