no kickdown in my new 88 2.3 coupe

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
I bought it today and drove it home. I noticed that once I got in OD I went to gear down by flooring it and it didn't drop any gears. There is a cable or something that isn't hooked up but the guy I bought it from said it was for the cruise

anyone have any ideas what I should check.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's fuel injected, you'll see three cables on the throttle body. The top two are accelerator and cruise. The bottom one is the kickdown. I'm not sure where it is on a carb model, but almost always on the throttle linkage/ butterfly assembly.

Hope this helps-Jeff
287K and rising

it's EFI

so if there is one at the bottom of the 3 missing that would be the cause. I know one ain't hooked up and I think it was the one under the throttle. The cruise dosn't work I know for sure...I will look and see what if anything is missing

Well the A4LD isn't the best gear box in my opinion. My old 93' LX had issues down shifting with one and upshifting. I was easier for me to simply manual shift it. You can always do a T-5 swap. I was about to do this but my wife gave birth to our son. So I sold the Stangs to make room for something with 4 doors.