No More NPI =(

i would learn how to replace the bottom end one some other person's engine first:rlaugh: Finding good used PI heads is hard, trust me on that. Maybe consider porting your NPI heads? OR if you are doing PI heads - finding NPI pistons would be a good idea if you're going to still spray as N20 loves compression.

• Sponsors (?)

That's the reason I am jumping on the heads that Mark (Winters98GT) had. I JUST got off of the phone with the machine shop and they are ready to go. They are good to go and had a bit of work done on them so its hard to pass up for $300. I read your horror story about buying the used components which is why I was afraid to just purchase the pi heads I kept seeing on craigslist and other local sites. I would hate to drop the $300+ for them and then have to send them to the machine shop for extra money. I do believe I am done with the spray, as I am selling my kit to help fund this headswap and really don't have intentions of going back with it. I never even sprayed at the track so there was no real use in even having the kit.

The only problem I am having about the pistons is that there aren't many options if I want the cheap route :rlaugh: I'm not trying to make the motor bulletproof by any means, and stock replacements would do me just fine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260279889279 is the auction that I am viewing as they have other of the same product. The deal seems hard to pass up :shrug:

As for the bottom end work--I won't be the only one doing it ;) I've been lucky enough to have a family member that is willing to teach rather than just do the work for me :) I've learned quite alot from helping him with everything, and im not comfortable attempting this by myself so he will be assisting.

Those are pistons from a PI 99/00 windsor at 18.1CC's, 2001-04 are 15.8cc's so the 18's will give you a little less compression. Auction is cheap, but it's also early.
Winters had a set of PI heads?

Yeah definitely buy new or have a reputable shop go over them and certify them.
As many know i bought a set, once hot tanked and reground valves/seats the guides were found to be shot and the deck needed .003 taken off due to imperfections.
Next set I bought from a pretty good company with a warranty. Those didn't flow oil to the top of the head so they sent another set - my machine shop goes over them/hot tanks them just and case and certifies them. They turn out to be windsors:nonono: So i got my money back from them (still upstanding people, just some mistakes made). So now round 4 is underway and it's top secret, lets just say i'm happy with the results so far.

They have been at a local machine shop that does work for quite a few of the faster street cars in Houston and everything checked out good and ready to go. They replaced the seals and everything so im not worried about the heads--one less thing to worry about :) Winters planned on headswapping his car though after sending them to the machineshop--never went through with it. My friend purchased his car on the 19th and now Winters is trying to find a vette. Mark is such a great guy and has helped me out already on many different occasions :nice:

I was thinking that they were from the windsor motors with that dish, aren't the stockers in these motors 10.50s or so :shrug: I might have to do some looking into it. Not sure what the effects of it will be?

Thanks for the info/help Cobrared :nice: I know that you have done lots of research since you ran into problems and are likely know more than most when it comes to the lovely NPI motors with different heads :rlaugh:

Thanks for the info/help Cobrared :nice: I know that you have done lots of research since you ran into problems and are likely know more than most when it comes to the lovely NPI motors with different heads :rlaugh:
Yeah, unfortunately:rlaugh:
Yeah, stokers are 10.49's. An 18.1 over a 15.8 means you'll be at 9.0:1 instead of 9.4:1. Not sure how much a difference that it, but Ford claims both platforms are at 260/302 so it must not be much.

Thanks for the kindwords, Maddox.

Jeff has worked on a few sets of PI heads for me years ago. He didn't remember me when I dropped then off earlier this year, but I know they do good work and I am confident in them. They have a good reputation in the area.

Chris, I never had a chance to put them on my car. I posted them a while back in my build thread, but my summer job consumes all of my time so I didnt have a chance.

Maddox, thats a good looking 97 in the background there! BTW, where is my bottle of Don Julio?

Give me a shout if there is anything I can help you out with. I know a guy at Tommy Vaughn that might be able to hook up the headswap parts that you will need for fairly cheap, though Randy is still hard to beat.

Theres a few z06's with less than 15k in houston right now, Im getting close to pulling the trigger but have to find exactly what I want. However, I would still like to make a pass at HMP in the old 97 if stephen would let me.

Theres a few z06's with less than 15k in houston right now, Im getting close to pulling the trigger but have to find exactly what I want. However, I would still like to make a pass at HMP in the old 97 if stephen would let me.
Sounds fun. It's been great chattin' with ya Mark - stand up guy online and in person from what I hear. My dad has a place out in Houston - if i ever travle that far I'll be sure to show up with some MT's (only fair) and i'll be seeing you at the track:nice:

I might end up buying the parts from TV just so I won't have to deal with shipping and so on. I still need to compile a list of parts that i'll need but I gave up on rushing the thing ;)

I talked to Jeff and told him I will pick the heads up Tuesday if the weather isn't bad, but even if its delayed it will be worked out. As for the pass at HMP...screw that, Stephen just moved to Baytown where the world famous HRP is ;) He'll be game to let you drive it though I imagine that will result in him becoming jealous of the times. :rlaugh:

Not too much has changed since my last post. I have yet to get the engine fully out though with family friends in from LA, it makes it difficult to make time to get over there and work on the car. I do, however, have everything set up to start and finally have access to the garage with the air tools and so on which will make it that much easier. The pistons are about to be purchased and the heads will be picked up once traffic decides to clear up (I called and let them know)

The pi cams are going to be installed in your car soon, though this weekend I am going to fix that coolant leak for him if things go as planned. I see the coolant in the valley so hopefully it's just leaking and needs some RTV.