no spark no start

mutjny

Feb 11, 2024
north carolina
pulled into my driveway the other day and then the next morning no start just crank. i have fuel pressure and maf counts but 0 spark on my handheld tuner. i replaced my coil packs, cleaned both crank and cam position sensor and checked all of my grounds and still nothing. i do have 12v running through all of my coil pack pigtails so there's something stopping the coil packs from activating. any ideas? 2001 GT

• Sponsors (?)

Any lights on dash? Like it sounds alarm related.
no pats light or anything just the normal ones you get before starting. i was thinking of the pats system and the battery on my key is completely dead. could this be causing something at all. one of my buddies said the key sends a signal to the ignition module but i don’t know how true that is

no pats light or anything just the normal ones you get before starting. i was thinking of the pats system and the battery on my key is completely dead. could this be causing something at all. one of my buddies said the key sends a signal to the ignition module but i don’t know how true that is
Yes that can cause a crank no start, get the battery changed and let us know.

i changed it but still have the issue i’ve just been busy with work and school and haven’t had time to work on it. i checked the pigtail for my crank sensor and i have 10 volts. do you know if that’s normal? haven’t been able to find it anywhere

I found this on the all forms forum:

Sensor

You may have already done this, but the sensor is easy to check before you remove it from the car. (Chris is absolutely correct, you need to do the work from under the car).

Test:

1. Disconnect the sensor and with the motor off, switch ON, connect a voltmeter and check for battery voltage to the connection you took from the sensor (this lets you know that the problem is NOT in the wiring).

2. Connect the voltmeter to the sensor itself, and select AC on the voltmeter. Put a breaker bar on the crank and watch the voltmeter as you slowly turn the crank. You should see the voltage move between 0 and 0.5 volts.

3. If you don't have any voltage changes on the sensor, it is bad.

Best of luck. I hope this fixes your car.

tripleblack

I hope it helps, Steve.

I found this on the all forms forum:

Sensor

You may have already done this, but the sensor is easy to check before you remove it from the car. (Chris is absolutely correct, you need to do the work from under the car).

Test:

1. Disconnect the sensor and with the motor off, switch ON, connect a voltmeter and check for battery voltage to the connection you took from the sensor (this lets you know that the problem is NOT in the wiring).

2. Connect the voltmeter to the sensor itself, and select AC on the voltmeter. Put a breaker bar on the crank and watch the voltmeter as you slowly turn the crank. You should see the voltage move between 0 and 0.5 volts.

3. If you don't have any voltage changes on the sensor, it is bad.

Best of luck. I hope this fixes your car.

tripleblack

I hope it helps, Steve.
by looking for volts on the sensor when you crank, do you think they mean on the magnetic tip or the actual sensor connected because i don’t see how it could get voltage without it being plugged in

The second test is to verify the pickup coil is producing an output in AC volts, not DC volts like the first step. By turning the crank past the sensor, it induces a signal voltage, the 0.5 indicated. The probes should go directly on the unplugged sensor.

Post the results of both steps. Good luck.