Noise from Bell housing

• Sponsors (?)

the missing tranny bolts should never had been an issue for 06 stangs. they fixed that problem a long time ago. and we have ruled out the bolts--there are no holes left, AND it is not a matallic rattle, but rather a knock or tap.

I just can't thing of anything else in the bell housing that could make a noise like that. I got underneath her again today at school. An instructor and I look at it and he couldn't thing of anything in there that could make a noise like that. The noise is with out a doubt coming from the transmission.

I can't take mine in until April. Since I'm currently in Florida and I live in Georgia. Since I'm in school done here I'm going to wait to take it to the dealer in Ga where I bought it from. This sucks though man, how long have you had the chatter and knocking sounds from the transmission? The thing is that I have never heard a manual or automatic make a knocking or tapping sound. I have heard them make chatter noises (These aren't that big of a deal). The noise is weird, but from I understand the previous generation Mustang GT's had this same problem (With the knocking/tapping noise). Thanks Tremec. Has anyone contacted them? I bet they would say oh that normal, that all do that or they all make some sort of noise. Which is fine but that sort noise just doesn't sit right with me. The chatter I can deal with.

i first took it in for the tranny noise about a year ago. they could not duplicate or no abnormal noises or something along those lines. i tried 3 more times to take it in and have someone ride with me to verify the noise i hear. they were very unhelpful and never actually wnet for a ride with me, so i never dropped it off. i found a new dealership to go to for warranty work. i am just waiting for the streets to clear, and dry up. (we got a foot of snow the last few days).

so i have been driving with the noise for a year and it has not blown up yet. maybe if it does, they will agree that there was a problem. good thing i have a warranty for almost 2 more years.

bigcat said:
i first took it in for the tranny noise about a year ago. they could not duplicate or no abnormal noises or something along those lines. i tried 3 more times to take it in and have someone ride with me to verify the noise i hear. they were very unhelpful and never actually wnet for a ride with me, so i never dropped it off. i found a new dealership to go to for warranty work. i am just waiting for the streets to clear, and dry up. (we got a foot of snow the last few days).

so i have been driving with the noise for a year and it has not blown up yet. maybe if it does, they will agree that there was a problem. good thing i have a warranty for almost 2 more years.

Ditto - mine goes in the shop tomorrow, 1st gear is there but not much left of it. the 3650 transmission is rated to 360 torque I'm 86ftlbs over that so it was just a matter of time.....

what I don't understand (besides the cost) why put a tranny in a car that Ford knows is going to be modified. I thought the trans were good for 390 reliable. Hell look at the Roush Stage III it's going to have a Roudhcharger on it and look at the S-281 Supercharger Saleen, it is also making more that the tranny is rated for. Ford should made the option for customer that wanted a T56 I would have paid for such an option. Ford would make more money on this things like this, it would have been nioice to have another gear option too. Gears aren't hard to install, but I would have paid them for the option. Hell you can get suck options like this on the new F250 F350 trucks. They give you like 5 different configurations of gear ratio and limited-slip and non-limited slip. Hello Ford Hook us up with some options! And some decent transmissions! I love the commericals that say "Quality is Job #1." I have very happy with my Mustang, but come on how long does a problem need to go on before it is enough(Tremec 3650). The commercials should say "Bent over and take it."

in my thread from about a year ago, there were very few people that had the problem. i have not heard of any more since then. when was your car built? mine was 10/04.

Thanks to JTGrant for pointing this thread out. I'm going to paste my original post from another thread here just to keep the dialogue going. Also, I work at Stillen and we have a really good machanic here so I'm going to have him check it out today, I'll let you know what he says (but as has been noted already, I just can't imagine what would be in there that could make this type of noise.... really sounds like a sticky lifter)

I have a 2006 GT manual trans with about 300 miles on it. At idle it has a fairly pronounced knock. The best way to describe it is that it sounds like the worlds wimpiest deisel...almost like a sticky lifter back in the days when we had lifters. It is much more noticeable under the engine than above. I drove over to the dealership and had them fire up a similarly prepared vehicle to try and determine if it was inherent in the new engine design (my dad has an 06 auto -- no noise on his), i thought that i could barely detect it on that car, but no where near as noisey as mine. With that in mind, I have 2 quetions.

1. Anybody have a similar experience, did you have it looked at or look at it yourself, and what was determined to be the source?

2. If this ends up being a rod knock, is anybody familiar with the law regarding something like this? I don't have any interest having them replace on engine, or even crack it open, with so few miles.. that is not why I bought a new car...

We all know how this goes... once you open an engine up it's never the same again.

check this out.. i posted this on another forum and somebody gave me this gem... this guy even has video/audio of the knock and detailed and what resolved it for him:

http://www.mymustangpage.com/2005redgt/page32

quote from his webpage:
"I spoke to my tuner, Andre Terranova of Custom Performance Tuning, and described my problems. He described seeing the exact Failsafe Mode issues Failsafe Mode is due to the IMRC's (Intake Manifold Runner Controls) a.k.a.Charge Motion Control Plates and how they are controlled in the tune. He said the tune must include the plates to be disabled and opened 100% of the time. So what we did was this: He took my old tune, adjusted for the 60# injectors and sent me 3 .XTR files. One for normal, one for 5% rich and 1 for 5% lean. I tested each of the files and what a difference. My power curve is back up to where it was before my engine blew-up and no Failsafe Mode and it runs fantastic. So I took the 5% fat tune and left it in place until I can get back to the dyno for a full tune.

Based on my initial testing of the modified .XTR files from my tuner, the only thing wrong with my car was the tune. The "knock knock knock" idle was caused by fouled plugs, the Failsafe Mode was caused by the IMRC's not being left open and the lack of power was just from a extremely conservative tune. Overall they did a great job, they just should have spent more time tuning my vehicle. I have a feeling that I will be getting a full dyno tune from my tuner, Andre Terranova of Custom Performance Tuning, soon to get this corrected."