Noise when going over small road irregularities

9 Deuce GT

Dec 10, 2003
Geneva, NY
I know these types of things are hard to detect from a thread, but maybe you guy's can give me a place to start looking.

Last year I noticed a weird noise when going over any type of bump in the road. It sounds like it is coming from the trans area. I originally thought it was the parking break cable rubbing the drive shaft, but that is not the case. I have the car lowered and was wondering if that has caused some sort of mis-alingment with the rear end/driveshaft.

Could body flex also be a problem?

• Sponsors (?)

put the front of the car on jacks and inspect under. look at the U joints, and move your tires around there should be no play. if there is it could be your tie rods or bearings.

If it's not DS scoring, I'd check motor/trans mounts, crossmember mounts and consider that the DS is trying to slide longitudinally in the tailshaft while the suspension articulates.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
If it's not DS scoring, I'd check motor/trans mounts, crossmember mounts and consider that the DS is trying to slide longitudinally in the tailshaft while the suspension articulates.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply guys. This last comment is around the area of the vehicle that I think the noise is coming from. It is sort of like a bearing/rotational type noise. Like something is spinning and out of alignment. I have noticed the trans moves alot over bumps. I have been thinking about changing the trans mount, but have just been lazy. I will look into this.

Hissin50, is there any type of scoring or markings that I can look for if what you are describing is the problem?

9 Deuce GT said:
Thanks for the reply guys. This last comment is around the area of the vehicle that I think the noise is coming from. It is sort of like a bearing/rotational type noise. Like something is spinning and out of alignment. I have noticed the trans moves alot over bumps. I have been thinking about changing the trans mount, but have just been lazy. I will look into this.

Hissin50, is there any type of scoring or markings that I can look for if what you are describing is the problem?

Good call on the trans and Crossmember mounts. Poly versions can be had for about 50 bucks; parts store versions are less.

If you look at the DS, you might see a line around it somewhere. I had it with my old school 2 chambers (the big rectangular ones). If your DS is clean and you can see anything, a light coat of contrasting spray paint (black on an alum DS; white on a stocker) in the areas where there is parts close to the DS can help see where it touches (like near the parking brake bracket, near mufflers if they're close to the DS, etc).

Alum DS's are larger in diameter than the stocker, and folks have been known to rub a good channel into the DS because of this.

Good luck.