ny and nj guys

• Sponsors (?)

get a cab from the airport to newark-penn station and get a train to NY-Penn station and then get a cab from the station to the hotel. the train is always the easiest way to get anywhere in the NY metro area.

Do NOT rent a car in NYC!! Between the traffic, parking and the cost, it is not worth it.

Best way from EWR to NYC. Both Amtrak and NJ Transit trains stop at Newark Airport station. From the airport, there is a monorail that will take you to the Newark Airport train station. From there you can pick up an Amtrak or NJ Transit train that ill take directly to New York Penn Station.

FWIW- NJ Transit is alot cheaper than Amtrak. You can check the schedule on NJTransit.com or Amtrak.com

Roosevelt Hotel- Good central location. Rooms are small. Nice mid-price hotel. It is not 5 star luxury but how much time do you really spend in the hotel room anyway when you are in NYC??

Do NOT rent a car in NYC!! Between the traffic, parking and the cost, it is not worth it.

100% agreed.
New York traffic is not for everyone.
I would never ever drive anything into NYC. Plenty of cabs, trains, busses to get you around. Never have to worry about a dwi that way either.

You'll get the hang of the public transportation thing quickly.

If for some reason you do rent a car and drive into the city, make sure to take the insurance when they offer it. Trust me, you're going to need it.

Coming from tenessee huh troy, man are you in for a culture shock in ny. I've had friends up from the carolinas and they were always amazed at city life in ny.

Coming from tenessee huh troy, man are you in for a culture shock in ny. I've had friends up from the carolinas and they were always amazed at city life in ny.

true. i am looking for that. i have traveled around but never to nyc. our new plans are to fly to laguardia or newark airport(best price) and stay at a friends apartment on first ave in manhattan? laguardia to manhattan is just a short cab ride? let me know. our plans right now are august 8-12.:shrug:

the saleen and the 06 are staying in tennessee. no rental car here. i understand the new york car situation. i still want to know how far laguardia is from manhattan. cab fare price? is first ave manhattan close to everything via subway or walking? also, a question for the locals.... the best place to get a few things? best pizza, best new york hot dog, good places to see? :flag:

Best pizza go to bleeker and carmine st. (Joes Pizza). Best hot dog I am not to sure, I hear great things about any grays papaya but I have never been there. I just usually get from the street vendors which are really good. There is a really good french fry place on 2nd ave, they have a ton of different dipping sauces. (http://www.pommesfrites.ws/). Check out central park, if it is nice out you can rent a row boat to take out on the lake. There is also a zoo and a few museums around the park. Also check out chinatown which is downtown along canal st. I highly recommend wohop which has great chinese food and is located on mott st. right off of canal. You can also check out little Italy which is on mullberry st. right off of canal but I wouldnt eat there. The food is way overpriced and the portions are really small. I only go for the canoli's. For more entertainment there are also broadway musicals and such if you are into that sort of thing. As for transportation I dont ever really take cabs so I am not sure about cab fare prices. On first ave I do not think there are many subways around there. I know of the L which can take you to 14th st Union Square station which is a big station which has a lot of different trains that will get you wherever you need. Just go down into a subway and get yourself one of those little pocket maps to help you out. But one thing that you must do, go to the Marriot Marquis in Time Square and ride the glass elevators up and down from top to bottom. Its a cheap thrill lol. Have fun!

from laguardia into manhattan should be $16-$26 dollars cab fare, you must add on any tolls or tips as well. it should take 20-30 minutes to get into the city from the airport, without traffic probably alot less.

always ask the airport workers for an authorized cab, dont just accept rides from anyone cause people will rip you off, and always be alert of your surroundings and make yourself blend in while walking the streets and on train stations, be street smart but also have fun and enjoy a whole new lifestyle while you visit nyc

theres tons of places to visit

chinatown you can walk the streets and buy off the vendors, they sell alot of neat stuff on the street, if you are not interested just say no thank you

little italy has alot of good places to eat and is nice to walk

central park is nice during the day as well

you can make a day out of the statue of liberty or empire state building too

greenwich village has alot of cool shops and bars, alot of weird punk/goth/sex toy shops too

southstreet seaport, times square, have fun