O/R mid pipe and emissions

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38176

My inspection renewal date is fast approaching and Im just trying to get a feel of what to expect.

Exhaust:
-stock manifolds
-MAC O/R H
-MAC flowpaths welded into stock catback

Will I be able to pass inspection? Im primarily interested in those living in Texas but would like to hear from everyone.

• Sponsors (?)

Since you don't have cats you will fail the visual inspection. I'm in the same boat I have until august to put gutted cats on my stang. Got lucky last year by playing dumb ad saying I didn't known it didn't have cats. Only thing I can reccomend is ask around to see if anybody has a hookup at an inspection place

Do you have emissions testing in your county? I live in TX but in a non-emission county, safety inspections only. Thank God. I don't have anything with cats anymore. Well, my F150, but only because I haven't gotten around to a nice sounding exhaust for it, YET.

Yeah Im pretty sure we have emissions in my county. I have my stock H sitting in the garage just in case, but it was such a pain in the ass to swap and I really dont want to do it again :(

As far as visual inspections go, I have NEVER had anyone look under any of my cars when getting inspected. They just pop in the good 'ol sniffer into the tailpipes.

i live in collin county(just north of dallas), and ive never had anyone look under the car, but they dont even use a sniffer... just plug in the obdII, you can fail 1 test and still pass. maybe if you car doesnt throw the code you can pass without cats but idk i never tested without cats.

Yeah Im pretty sure we have emissions in my county. I have my stock H sitting in the garage just in case, but it was such a pain in the ass to swap and I really dont want to do it again :(

As far as visual inspections go, I have NEVER had anyone look under any of my cars when getting inspected. They just pop in the good 'ol sniffer into the tailpipes.

Ive never had anybody look underneath my car either. As long as your car isnt throwing any codes/CEL it should pass. Thats wierd that a place would stick a sniffer in the tailpipes, they should only plug into the OBD on a 2002. Ive never had anybody use a sniffer on my 2002

Ive never had anybody look underneath my car either. As long as your car isnt throwing any codes/CEL it should pass. Thats wierd that a place would stick a sniffer in the tailpipes, they should only plug into the OBD on a 2002. Ive never had anybody use a sniffer on my 2002

Well according to the TXDOT website, my county is 1 of just 3 or 4 in the whole state that do the sniffer test (TSI - two speed idle test). We also do the OBDII test as well.

As of right now my car is throwing the code (SES light). Im going to get rid of it before I go though.

Yeah Im just going to swap the stock H back on this weekend and get it tested. No big deal.

Good thing you kept it, you'll need it. I've had my offroad h-pipe since 2004 and was able to pass inspection every year, except for 2 years ago. I had to swap my stock h-pipe back on, pass inspection, then swap the offroad one back on. That sucked.

I live in a rural county, no sniffer test like in the big cities. Inspections were no problem until one new guy decided to look under the car and do his Barney Fife bs. Needless to say, I've found a new place to go to.

:flag:

It's very simple to pass in Texas. I've been doing it for 12 years. A handshake with a little cash in your palm will do the trick. If you're around Houston, I've got a few places that you can go to. I also know a place around San Antonio.

What do you mean by "a little cash"?

Don't go to the counter or inside the shop. Find the Tech/Inspection guy and just ask him if you can speak to him for a few seconds. Let him know you need an inspection for an 20 dollar bill or two. If he declines, move to the next shop. No need to tell him why, because he will know and can determine who you are at that point based on what info you gave him. Trust me, it is very, very easy to do.

I'd spend 20-40 dollars rather than changing a mid pipe on a 4.6 2 times within a week. I just don't have the tools or lift to do it comfortably.