Offroad H-pipe people in here...

Steve2kGT

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
Santa Clara, CA
Anyone go from having an aftermarket catback (whatever brand) with an aftermarket h-pipe with cats, then switch to an offroad H?

If so, what was the sound difference between the two setups? DId you like the difference?

I have Mac Catback with Mac catted h-pipe right now. Not as loud as I thought it would be. I'll have to say, my 2002 GT with just Mac catback and stock H was a lot louder. :shrug:

Never did here it with the stock h-pipe, but considering going offroad H maybe even Prochamber...

just wanted to know if it is worth it sound wise. I like setting off car alarms :D

• Sponsors (?)

there is a huge difference. I went from the mac cat back to bbk long tubes with o/r h pipe and it is much louder. I get alot of :nice: I had a o/r h pipe on my 00 gt and it sounded great, I will never go back to a catted h pipe.

I can't believe the stock H sounded louder than the aftermarket, something might be wrong with it.

On my GT I had a Bassani X w/ cats and switched to a BBK O/R. BIG difference in sound, felt like I lost a little torque (picked up .15 ET though), but worth it for the sound alone.

KU Cobra:

Do you have any sound clips of your car? I'm more than likely going to go with the offroad H, and at $129 or whatever it is, even if I don't like it, it's not that much. I will still have to swap it out anyways with my stock one when I do my emissions. I will probably have some cat shells welded onto it just so it "looks" legit in case I get pulled over.

Steve2kGT said:
Do you have any sound clips of your car? I'm more than likely going to go with the offroad H, and at $129 or whatever it is, even if I don't like it, it's not that much. I will still have to swap it out anyways with my stock one when I do my emissions. I will probably have some cat shells welded onto it just so it "looks" legit in case I get pulled over.

I have a vid of my ex-'96 Cobra with BBK o/r H-pipe and 2-chamber Flows on Apex's dyno that I can send.