Oil change gone wrong! (rant)

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
When I loosened my drain plug the little adapter that went to it started turning too.:mad: That of course meant that it would leak like crazy if I didn't fix it.

So I undo all the stupid oil pan bolts so I can take it off and repair the drain.:mad: The stupid center link is in the way!:mad: So I go get the puller for tie rod ends, and have to take all the steering crap apart to get the oil pan out.:mad:

But I fixed it, and replaced all my tie rod boots with energy suspension boots, I think they will last a long time.

All because I wanted to change my oil. It wouldn't have been as bad if I would've expected to have to do all that, but I just wanted to change my freakin' oil for cryin out loud.

Oh well, it's over now, and it wasn't as bad as changing the oil pump with the engine in the car in my 90 GT.

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting, I did an oil pan change and only had to pull the crossmember. I had to twist the pan left and right to get it past the mains but it came out fine, and I even got an 8qt pan in there as a replacement. Maybe the extra width of the 351 pan has something to do with it.

Like yours, my drain plug adapter was stripped and I was losing oil really fast.

If it makes you feel anybetter. The ONE time I EVER got too lazy to change my own oil I brought my fastback to a Jiffy Lube. The dumb asses stripped my oil pan's drain bolt hole! They ended up paying for it, BUT I was seriously lucky that I had a mechanic friend with a shop literally on the other side of the street that was able to switch out the old pan with a new one that same day. Oil is the worst best necessity ever. The second you give it an inch.....well you know how it goes. Sorry to here about your issues. I've been there.