Oil for 04 GT Automatic

jas142

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
How many quarts of oil. owners manual says 6 including filter, but I went to an oil place cause I don't have any jackstands or ramps and they put in 7 of 5w20. Is that bad? Anyone else put 7 in?

• Sponsors (?)

Happened to me once. I was in a hurry to do some traveling and went to a quick oil change shop. They put "Charged" me for 7 quarts. I normally do my own oil change and it does not usually take more than 5.5 quarts.
I then took the owners manual to the shop and ask them why did they overcharged me. Owner said that was what it took to fill my car up. I told him I was going to report him to the local Better Business Bureau. 2 months later, the Better Business Bureau closed him down because of similar incidents.

35thRedGT said:
LOL Jared, they just charged you for 7

lol nope I was talking to the mechanic while it was being done. He was into old school American Muscle so we were chatting about his chevelle while he put it in, all 7 quarts :(

the oil pressure needle is a little more then half way between the L and the H..

I think 7 qts. is a bit of an overfill. I once trusted Wal-Mart to change my oil for me. Sure enough, they ended up putting in 5.5 qts and my car ended up throwing out the extra 1/2 qt. I never let them change my oil again. I always do it myself now. 5 qts. completely fills my car evertime.

I had my shop this week change it and the tech, whom was a newer one, put 6 1/2 in. The level was exactly at the full line, so I can't blame him. I'll have to remember the TSB next time I'm in there.

its 5 quarts +- .25
Ford is in the process of standardizing the markings across all vehicle lines. Current markings shown will be upgraded to a refined marking. Both markings will be used in production over the next few years. Oil levels will still be recorded in the crosshatched area of the blade, between the upper and lower limit holes. Vehicles shipped with engine oil levels falling within this area are acceptable and do not require topping off. Oil fill quantities are precisely measured at the plants and account for slight variations that may occur in oil pan volumes, indicator length, and pressed-in locations of the indicator tube into the block. For customer use, the markings continue to serve as a guide to refilling the engine to the correct initial fill volume with filter or, to top off the engine when it is determined the level is below the lower hole.

If the oil level falls between the upper and lower hole do not add more oil. Adding an extra quart could cause overfilling and may result in aeration (foaming) causing eventual damage to vital bearing surfaces and moving parts inside. Overfilling will require some oil to be drained out until the indicator shows the level between the upper and lower holes of the blade. DO NOT expect the engine to 'consume" the extra oil back down to the upper oil till level hole, or consider it as extra lubrication protection for the engine.

This is from the TSB on my 2002 GT