Oil in an 01 Cobra

98 STEED

Oct 2, 2003
Long Island
Just wondering what you all run as far as oil weight. I have always used 5w-30 Mobile 1. But I just bought an 01 Cobra and over my first 3k miles with it it burned almost a quart of that. I am positive there are no leaks any where and I drive it modestly, its my daily driver to and from work. Its Bone stock. Maybe I need a heavier oil?

the car only has 10k miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

Nah, don't bother with the heavier oil trick (it's a band-aid solution anyways).
Chances are that it is either the valves or guides, but the 20 or 30 weight oil is fine.
Some of our engines do burn a little oil (1 quart over 3000 miles would be understandable if you are driving it really hard).
Ford can start an "oil consumption test," if you have any warranty left. They may choose to rebuild for you or replace with a remanufactured engine if it turns out the engine is using too much oil.
My advice would be to keep a close eye on the oil level, fill as needed, and enjoy the car.

:cheers:

It does have waranty left, its covered till 60k miles. Its just strange, really shouldnt burn that much.

I suppose youre right though, I will just watch it, shouldnt be much of a hassel, it gets changed every 3k anyway.

Thanks!

1 quart is damn good compared to me! i was burning over 3 quarts every 3k.
so ( i work at ford) i got a new long block and replaced the oil burning monster. well wouldn't u know i still burn at least 2. soooo i put a blower on it!!!!!!! just keep an eye on it and it should be ok.

98 Steed, the same thing happened to me (2001 cobra) when I switched over to Mobile One. I switched back to the oil that ford recommends and the problem went away.

I also noticed that with mobile one you hear a hell of a lot more valve train noise at startup, that can't be good.

Barjam said:
98 Steed, the same thing happened to me (2001 cobra) when I switched over to Mobile One. I switched back to the oil that ford recommends and the problem went away.

I also noticed that with mobile one you hear a hell of a lot more valve train noise at startup, that can't be good.

You sure you weren't using FRAM filters ?? I had valve train noise on startup when I made the mistake of using a fram filter. NEVER again.

I was using Mobil 0W-20 then switched to Redline 5W-20. There was no valve noise, I just wasn't sure about that 0W. I always use Mobil Filters. Frams are crap. As far as usage, I go 5000 miles between changes and use no appreciable oil, so I guess I'm lucky.

I use the motorcraft filter. I am not saying that mobil one isn't good (lots of cars use it) I just won't use it on my car because of the valve noise and the oil usage. Who knows, maybe my engine has a problem.

*shrug*