Oils....Which to use?

94musclegt

Nov 9, 2003
Hey I'm about to do an oil change on my 94 Gt. It has 145000kms on it. Think I should just stick with the High Mileage oil? Or should I give something like Royal Purple a shot? Also what do you guys use for your tranny and p/s?

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search on Valvoline Maxlife for high mileage engines. There is a $12 rebate available online for 5 quarts. Cant go wrong with that. Just know tho (cuz i didnt read the rebate before hand) that you will need the tamper proof rings that are part of the tops. You have to mail them in along with the rebate form and the reciept.

Otherwise, I think the most reputable oil is Mobil One.

Chris

Prince95GT said:
That high milage stuff is BS to me... what did people use before that came out??? So I would just say any oil u choose should be ok.

yeah, i think its just another ploy to sell oil. i usually use Penzoil (maybe b/c my dad buys it buy the drum) lol. i have over 210,000 miles on my truck. i use it in my car and pretty much everything and happy with it.

whatever brand you pick, you should try and stick with it. some oils dont always mix right with eachother.

Actually the high mileage oil is a very good product. Mainly its uses are for the seals in the engine. The valve stem seals, rear and front main in particular. As time takes its toll on the rubber, it becomes not only brittle, but shrinks. The additives in the high mileage oil helps soften the seals and actualy gives them some pliabilty. Now this will not fix an extreme situation but it helps to prevent oil leaks and that smoking exhaust for a little while longer for the life of the engine. Valavoline is the BEST. That Maxlife is the where it is at for the high mileage engines. I would stay away from the sythetics on the high mileage engines. I created more leaks when I used the stuff. I say if you use sythetics start at 5,000 miles and then on up. I would not start using at 100,000 and expect miracles. I use Kendall GT. I researched forever on the BEST and there are a lot of good brands but Kendall has the highest marks for people saying after 3,000 miles there oil was still clean, and even mechanics have praised it. They are the only oil to have Nitromethane oil for the Top Fuel 300+MPH cars. There has to be some good research to allow this oil to be used in those engines. Thats enough for me.

yeah dont discount high mileage oil.....i noticed the car started using a little bit of oil 2 oil changes ago and even though high mileage oil is for 75k+ cars i figured id give it a try cuz its supposed to work good for seals....well i have noticed a decrease in the oil used by the motor since switching to the high mileage

Anthony