OK, so I'm replacing the electric door lock solenoid...

twogts4us

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Dunedin, FL
I ended up just buying a replacement solenoid from Latemodel Restoration, but I neglected to buy the rivet to attach it to the door. After drilling out the old one, I now realize how big the rivet is. Besides going back to LRS to buy a simple rivet (1.99 each, but then I still have to pay shipping and I don't have that big rivet gun, just a standard, albeit Heavy Duty, Craftsman unit) and therefore delaying this project (I'd planned to tackle this project this weekend), will another rivet (or even bolt/screw assembly) work? Or does Ford parts counter typically sell and carry these rivets?

Secondly, please take a look at the pictures below. This was in the bottom of the door when I retrieved the solenoid (after drilling out the rivet). I have to believe that it was somehow previously attached, because it probably would have rattled pretty badly, and we don't recall hearing this thing previously. So, my question is, WHAT is it and WHERE does it go? It does have a part # stamping = 9AB - 54220A91 - AA.

Thanks guys!
Chris
P9096305%20%5B1024x768%5D.JPG

P9096306%20%5B1024x768%5D.JPG

P9096307%20%5B1024x768%5D.JPG

P9096308%20%5B1024x768%5D.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

That piece is a cover for the door latch mechanis. I popped it off and for life of me could not figure how to pop it back on. So I've left mine off for some time. I assume it's just a sheild. Ford will have the rivets. I think I paid 1.69 each. I bought the big rivet gun at harbor freight and comes with the rivets for 19.99 They are not the best rivets though, they mushroom and don't split into three parts like the ford rivets do. You could always use 1/4 (I believe) bolts.

Perfect - thanks! I need a reason to go down to our local Harbor Freight anyway! (Dangerous place, eh?) As we all know, some of their stuff is sub par, but for a lot of us shadetree mechanics, their stuff works just fine.

Man an anti theft sheild? Maybe I shouldn't have thrown it away. Lol. Oh well. My cars are rarely left alone and are parked in the garage.

Yeah your right about us, most of the time harbor freight's tools will work and if they break, take it back and get free replacement. FTW!!!

A bolt or machine screw from the hardware store will workk just as good as the rivet.

By the way, if you had followed the link in my sig, you could have saved a big bunch of money on the door lock actuators - fix both sides for less than $25. The replacement actuators are very good and they don't seize up like the stock ones do.

Yeah I did follow your link, but in the end, decided to do just a simple (hopefully simple?) RNR - this is my son's car and I really don't feel like wrapping up my entire weekend messing with his car.

Why would you even consider using another rivet? Go get some small pan head bolts with a allen key hole in them. I keep an assortment of them in stainless steel so I can use them anywhere I need a bolt with a low profile head.

Why would you even consider using another rivet? Go get some small pan head bolts with a allen key hole in them. I keep an assortment of them in stainless steel so I can use them anywhere I need a bolt with a low profile head.
You are spot on bro - I really don't want to use a rivet. I just need to find the proper size and spec of bolt and nut. A pan head bolt would fit properly, and an allen key head would look OEM. The only reason I was leaving toward the rivet is for the OEM look - I don't want it to look ghetto.

A bolt or machine screw from the hardware store will workk just as good as the rivet.

By the way, if you had followed the link in my sig, you could have saved a big bunch of money on the door lock actuators - fix both sides for less than $25. The replacement actuators are very good and they don't seize up like the stock ones do.

I've done 4 doors this way and they work perfect. Doesnt take long at all.

There's no need to undo the rivet. Just pop the old cylinder out of its bracket and finagle the new one in, without removing the bracket or its rivet at all.

And if it's a vert with a plastic bracket (et al?), you can use snap rings pliers to remove the bracket from the rivet-mount if the bracket needs replacing or removal (for the JR retrofit, it can help to remove the bracket while test-fit mounting the aftermarket actuator to the bracket).