Opening the hoodscoop...

• Sponsors (?)

McTeague said:
And all you had to do was read the other 100 threads on this topic instead of starting a new one :shrug:

If you do not like the way your question was answered and the free advice you got then too f'n bad...

You guys get free advice in here!!?

Damn SVTTech better stop taking money out of my paypal account them.

RoadconeTuning, I understand where you’re coming from. I have seen them made functional. But as is evident, it needs to be reinforced. Sounds like Vertigasen had the right idea about adding the straps to the inside of the scoop for support. But I’d forget cutting holes near the firewall, That’s a high pressure area right in front of the windshield and it doesn’t let air out like some think, it actually forces air in. Remember the Chevy Cowl Induction Hoods? Or take a look under the hood of any NASCAR, that’s where their air comes into the carb. There was a Bullitt Mustang from Virginia at the 40th anniversary Mustang show in Nashville that had a real nice setup. I will dig through my pictures and see if I can find it.

Mustang5L5 and others are correct. If you take out the plastic insert only, it may look cool, but the scoop will no handle the extra air coming in. I can say this from experience.

I took it out and ran around here for a month or so without it, just going back and forth to work, I stay under 60mph since most all the driving is around town. All was good until I went back home to Louisiana and stayed at 80-85mph for hours at a time. I think that I made it less than 100 miles from here when the damn thing started shaking. The front two plastic pieces that the bolts go through had broken. Luckily, I had my good old leatherman and was able to remove the scoop while on the side of the interstate. So then I'm running around with this gay looking hood that has holes all in it.

I tried everything to reinforce it and repair the broken mounts, to include different epoxies and plastic bonding goos. I even tried to go to the Ford dealer to get a new scoop and they couldn't even find the part in their all-knowing computer. I did find it funny as hell when he said that I could probably just buy a new GT hood from them, and that it "should" come with the scoop.

I made it back here to Arizona and just put the honeycomb grill back in the scoop to give it the support that it needed. Worse case scenario, if you F up your scoop, I saw a place online that sells them for just under a $100 plus shipping.

RoadconeTuning said:
wow.... you people got hardcore against this... if i was planning on spending a buncha money on glassing it in and repainting i would just buy the cobraR hood or 03 cobra hood i want... all you had to say was, its not fastend to the hood well enough to do that and will tear off when going down the road.

You were told that 5 DIFFERENT TIMES. Learn from other peoples mistakes. I wouldnt get mad at them because they didnt give you the answer you wanted to hear.

jstreet0204 said:
That scoop is pretty flimsy and the grill is the main support for it. I think if you take it out, it may ripp off. If I wasn't using it to cool off my blower I wouldn't bother with it.
02FastbackGT said:
If you really want a functional hood scoop, you should do the shaker install. It's original for the GT's and looks cool!! A customized GT hood scoop would look the same, but could even cause damage. I've heard of the whole scoop blowing off due to too much air flow.

Mustang5L5 said:
Don't totally remove the black insert. It will cause the scoop to rip off at high speed.

hognutz said:
you would regret doing this.

1. it would rip off at high speed
2. it would let too much crap in

Dragstr05 said:
I wouldnt do it. I know someone personally who ended up buying a new hood because he turned his stock hood into a "ram air" setup. It ripped right off, and scratched up his roof.

That's a nice setup. The Karkraft kit has been gone for several years. I've had a few thoughts, but maybe someone here has already considered them, haven't seen mention of it before.

One: Everyone talks about fiberglassing the scoop, straps, etc. What about making a metal box that fits on the inside of the scoop and is bolted to the hood. Since the stock scoop can break or fly off, I would think that a metal box being the support structure handling the air would work better and the stock scoop then just acts as a cover mounted over this box.

Second thought for under the hood: everyone is trying to fabricate stuff, but won't the Mach 1 system fit and then just match the box underneath flush to the hood. Looks like the Mach ones have a seal that do that anyway, only their scoop then sticks up through the center of the seal and above the hood. For ours that seal would be against the hood and then a cut out to the outside where our scoop (or metal box) does the work.

I've also read people saying that making the stock scoop functional is a waste of time and money. What makes the Mach 1 system any better, or any of the kits based on that design it that work with the GT?

I've wondered just how much benefit the Mach 1-type setup really offers, I mean aside from being totally cool, which is undoubtably is.

If you've ever seen an old Dodge Challenger T/A, it has a functional ram-air system as well. But the scoop opening is a good 6 inches off the hood :eek: Apparently, it was the minimum height that would actually place the scoop in the airstream.

I know our cars are much more aerodynamic that those bricks, but I still wonder if a functional scoop is really sucking in any great additional amounts of air. :shrug:

john_324 said:
but I still wonder if a functional scoop is really sucking in any great additional amounts of air. :shrug:

Not really. The stock GT hood scoop is too low in the airstream to really suck in much air. It needs to be higher up in the airstream as there is a buffer layer of air created from air being deflected upwards off the front bumper of the car.

A popular mod for Mach 1 owners is to add spacers to push their scoops up higher into the airstream. If you ever see a Mach 1 parked next to a GT, their hood scoops are already significantly higher than a GT scoop...and even the mach 1 scoop isn't high enough