Opinions on type of box in a fox hatch

I got a box with two 10s off of my buddy. It is a bandpass box with vent tubes. It sounded pretty good for a while, but it started rattling apart, and I couldn't cover it with the vinyl pull over cover in the hatch. I don't like people being able to just look in my back window and see all of my setup. I decided I was going to make my own box that would be able to fit underneath that cover. Now for the questions.....

What sounds better in a hatchback fox, a bandpass setup or a sealed box? My design I came up with is for just a typical sealed box, but I didn't know if that was the best setup. What do you guys use in your hatchbacks? Should I just make a vented sealed box to cut down on size and weight? Please let me know what type of box you think sounds best.

Also, which way do you point the subs. I was going to make the box so they are angled at about a 45 on the side, pointing upward. This way I could either have them pointing toward the driver, or I could turn them around to point toward the back. Do you guys have a preference as to which way they should be pointed?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm, personally I find that a sealed box sounds better than a bandpass or ported box. I have used both in the past and I really didn't like the bandpass box at all. I would say build a box that will fit underneath your cover and possibly black out your back windows. That is what one of my friends did to make it hard to see in the back even in daylight. And by Blacking out, I mean multiple layers of tint. As for where to point the woofers, I have my fired up to the front for now. Its funny to turn up the bass and punch people in the back who sit in the back seat. But with the new thunderform box I am installing, my woofer will be pointed towards the rear.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Here is mine. I have been told u get more bass pointing them towards the rear because it bounces off the hatch and back to the front. I think next summer I am going to try the other way. This way does cause quite a bit of hatch rattle outside, but who knows.
492429_22_full.jpg

I like mine because if I need to I can take it out, but I really like the custom setups that are molded in the spare tire compartment or fill the whole back of hatch. I still need a little room to bring home the groceries :D I can still use the cover, but without it I can put box closer to back seats. The amp is mounted on the box next to the seats.

Sealed box huh? That's what I was thinking. I was going to make the box so that I could point it forward, or just take it out and flip it around if I felt like it. I was also just going to mount the amp on the backside of the box, so it doesn't matter which way it is pointed.

How much volume should I have per sub? New power series subs say .75 cubic ft per sub, but mine are older and jbl says it will need more volume. I don't have them here with me(school) so I can't get a part number off of them. What do you guys think 1 cubic ft? 1.25?

Thanks for the help, always appreciated.

Chris

Ported box, facing rear of car will give you the deepest bass, but a sealed box will give you a little bit more "punchy" bass. Depends on how you like it, 12's play deeeep, 10s punch you. You going for brain rattling or just some nice clean bass? I have 2 ported boxes in my 85 hatch, one with 2 jlw6 10's facing front and 2 jlw7s facing rear. Only prob with subs facing rear is the hatch likes to rattle, nothing some dynamat wont fix though.