Optimal Front Tire size 67-68 mustang w/15x7 wheel

I'm looking to put a set of 15x7 wheels on the front of my 68' but I'm unsure which size tire would be best. I was looking at 215/60-15, 215/65-15, 235/60-15, and 225/60-15

What do you think looks best? My rear tires are 26 inches in diameter.

• Sponsors (?)

Best size? That's kinda subjective, like who should win Miss America.

You want to know biggest fit? Here:

65-70Tyreandwheelsize.gif

Reactions: 1 user
What is the backspacing on the rims your looking at?
I have 15X7 TT D's with 3.75" bs and with 225/60/15's the bulge of the tire scraped the fender lips, rolled the fenders and they clear now. I think if I would have gone with 215's they would have cleared.
Jon

They are a 4.25 backspace wheel. I was leaning toward the 215/65s since they are 26" diameter but I am just trying to guage how that looks compared to the 215 or 225/60. My guess is there is probably not much of a noticeable difference at all.

68Cragars-sig-banner.jpg

Look at that, two blue '68s with Cragar SSs. :D

I have 225-60s on the front of mine and they might rub once in a while going through a dip with the wheels turned sharp to one side, but 95% of the time they do not. I deleted the power steering, so I have the GT ratio steering box and it's heavy at very low speed, but not what I would consider a hassle.

Those are both sweet looking 68s. How about a blue 65? I don't have Cragars though. LOL... That would be something if the OP's car is blue too.

tx65coupe-albums-v8-conversion-completed-picture3327-100-0538.jpg

I have 215 60 15 front with out power steering and a quick ratio steering box. I wouldn't really say its a hassle. I don't have any issues with it except for when the car is not moving. If its barely rolling its ok. I will agree with what was just said that it can be a little heavy or hard at very low speeds.

I went ahead and bought some 215/60's. Tirerack didn't carry the tire I wanted in a 225. I know how difficult it can be with the P/S; at one time I had 245s on the front, 17 inch wheels and parking lots were a pita. But I will trade that anyday over my current wheel/tire combo. 165/80/15s on 3.5 inch wide draglite; sure, steering is easy but handling is dog*****. When taking corners it feels like the tires are gonna roll off the wheel. I've had enough of that; drag tires for the dragstrip. They're no fun on the street.

I agree. The skinny tires in the front are not very suitable for driving on the street. They do look cool on certain cars though. Unless the car is mostly a stip car, I wouldn't run them either.

What tires did you go with?

I went ahead and bought some 215/60's. Tirerack didn't carry the tire I wanted in a 225. I know how difficult it can be with the P/S; at one time I had 245s on the front, 17 inch wheels and parking lots were a pita. But I will trade that anyday over my current wheel/tire combo. 165/80/15s on 3.5 inch wide draglite; sure, steering is easy but handling is dog*****. When taking corners it feels like the tires are gonna roll off the wheel. I've had enough of that; drag tires for the dragstrip. They're no fun on the street.

i have 245/50/16 on 7.5" wheel on my falcon and they fit perfectly. I have manual steering and i have no issues not too hard to steer. But i bet my car is much lighter than yours. Im running 4* caster. I would think the 67 mustang could easily fit some really nice wide tires.

Posted via Mobile Device