Our motor only weights 10lbs lighter than the 5.0??

Boss 351 said:
"poor guy is on carb'd power"

lol_hitting.gif

• Sponsors (?)

(&) said:
I've heard that a carbed 302 with aluminum heads is lighter than a stock 2.3T. That's not really important since it's not a stock vs. stock comparison, and who wants to run a carb? But I thought it was interesting.

Even if it's true, all the extra space in the front of my engine compartment leads me to believe that the weight distribution would always be better with the 2.3, and to me that's more important than just how much it weighs.

Why run a carb? I can spend $5.00 on a set of jets to taylor my carb to my setup.

a set of injectors will set ya back $300.00 or so.

Now here is some FACT for everyone.

My current '85 coupe used to be a good 'ol 2.3L. Weighed in at 3200 LBS.
I swaped in my lightly modded 5.0L, 8.8 in. rearend and T-5
Weighed in at 3350 LBS. This was done the night before and the night after the swap was complete.

More interesting is the fact that the 4.6 ...even the aluminum versions are as heavy as the old 5.0!!! You would think that with Pro-E and all the advancements over the years they could make a lighter V8 engine!!?
:bang:

At least according to the referencesed website.

63_Fairlane said:
More interesting is the fact that the 4.6 ...even the aluminum versions are as heavy as the old 5.0!!! You would think that with Pro-E and all the advancements over the years they could make a lighter V8 engine!!?

OHC heads tend to be heavier, and since the V8 has 2 heads, this effect is muliplied.

63_Fairlane said:

Making it out of aluminum you have two options.

1) Make the motor much lighter at the same structural strength.

2) Make the motor much stronger at the same weight.

Ford leaned toward the much stronger side.

The 4.6L motor is considerably stronger and the DOHC motor is a monster with 4 bolt mains and cross bolted caps like the 427 NASCAR and Lemans motors used.