Overheating issues

Horsewhipped

Jun 1, 2007
66 C code 289- I just detailed my engine compartment, installed a 160 degree thermostat and rebuilt the heater box with a new heater core installed. I pulled the radiator when I started the project. I also installed a fan shroud (stock metal).
I got the car back together earlier this evening, and refilled the radiator. I started the car and let it warm up. Once the car warmed up, the antifreeze overflowed, so I shut the car off and put the radiator cap on, wiped up the mess, and restarted the car. The temp gauge was almost on the hot mark, and after starting, it didn't cool down. Before I did this work, the car had a 190 degree thermostat, and if I had been running the car and shut it off, then started it again a minute or 2 later, the needle would be on the hot mark, then quickly lower to the normal running temp.
I'm kinda baffled as to why it is overheating now, especially now that I've done the mods to help it run cool. It has a 3 row radiator also. Any suggestions? Heater blows hot air, no hose leaks anywhere, inside or engine bay.
Another question, the carb spacer- does the hollowed out side face down, or up?

Last, the fan hits the shroud intermittently when I put the car in gear. from looking at the brackets that hold the shroud on, everything is adjusted as low as it can go. the bottom of the shroud has the least amount of clearance, and I tried pulling on it to see if I could gain any more space, but didn't have any luck.

Thanks for any help!

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

Hollow spaces down on the manifold.
Sounds like the new thermostat is not opening. If it didn't over heat like that before, most lily is the new thermostat. You may have to mod your shroud brackets to let it drop down a bit. I just put one on my project car. Seems like it will flex a good bit with a little push here and there.

Yes, I put the stat in with the spring towards manifold. I came out thismorning, and radiator took about another 1/2 gallon of coolant. I'm hoping it was air in the system, but I haven't had a chance to run it and see. KAR mustang told me about the 160 degree thermostat to keep it running cool. i will check things out, and post later. Thanks for the responses! Helps to brainstorm different ideas.

Eric

I pulled the carb, and spacer was up-side-down, so I fixed that, and put new gaskets between intake & spacer, and spacer and carb. It got rid of the hissing sound, but I need to adjust the idle mixture because it is idling too low, and wants to stall when in gear.
As for the overheating, I added about 1/2 gallon of coolant as per my earlier post, and after the carb issue was straightened out, I let it warm up, and took it for a short drive. the temp gauge stayed just under the halfway point of the gauge. Also, when I shut the car off, then started it about a minute later, the needle was just past the 3/4 mark (from heat sink) and immediately returned to barely under the halfway point as before, so I'm good now! Thanks again for the help, now once I get the carb back in tune, I can enjoy driving it.
Oh, the fan shroud... I loosened the bolts and pushed it as low as I could get it. I only heard the fan strike the shroud once, in reverse, backing out of drive. The shroud is sitting on the trans cooler lines, so I don't know how much more I can adjust.

Eric