OVERHEATING PLEASE HELP

it's the black box mounted to the over flow bottle bracket. Is has a relay for the fuel pump, low speed fan, and high speed fan. I just had to replace mine this last week. I took my old one apart and the circuit board was all black and burnt where the high spee relay was. When you car hets up to a higher temp does the fan come on? Does the fan come on then you have the a/c on?

• Sponsors (?)

TRE said:
just a thought if the haeter core was bad could that cause enough flow disrup to cause the problem?
shouldnt.

mytight - right on about the ambient temps (i live a 1/4 mile from the sun).

and as said, the chin spoiler is very important - helps direct air flow and creates a low pressure area behind the radiator to help with flow through the rad.

do you have the mechanical gauge plumbed into the stock sender location? where is the stock gauge's sender mounted (curious since you are referencing it).

what temps do your elec fans come on at (stock)?
200-210* is nothing to be worried about, IMHO. that is where the motor needs to be for emissions (so it is designed to run like that). a good 180* stat will help to get things cooling sooner, but you need to adjust the fan accordingly (get the fan to come on sooner. i.e. with a 180 stat, have the fan come on at 195 and off at 185 or 200 and 190. it sounded like others had done this.

back to the temps - with a stock 195-ish t-stat, i would expect you to be over 200*. i dont know how your computers are, but they should be close to foxes (A9L, etc). on those, the puter pulls timing at 226*, IIRC. that seems to be where the engineers thought the car was getting a little too warm, and takes measures to cool it off.

just my ramblings. good luck.

mytight95 said:
i would also like to add an opinion to this.....

...jason
i agree, maybe it does not get as hot here...its more humid here than anything, but even if that is the case were talking what MAX 20*'s???(if its 110 there and 90 here) idk if that should make a difference between my car running solidly cool and your car over heating...maybe im wrong...

Anthony

well my car after my rebuild was running tapping the A even on days where it was down to 50*F. it was nuts. got a summit universal radiator (horrible fit but im cheap so it was fine :) ) well i figured it could run cooler even after the radiator (kinda near the mid M or so) so i got a 180* therm and it moved down to the R. finally got my tweecer and switched the fan settings and now i have had her running too cold where its 90*F out but yet my temp gauge would never go over the N. the tweecer r/t says thats right around 185-190ish. im going to change it around a lil so the car gets a lil warmer so it is within the optimum operating temp (thought i heard 190-210). just thought id throw that all out there because each little thing i did changed a lil bit and messing with the fan did the most i think

btw, during the summer i always run an 80/20 water/coolant mix. winter mix is 50/50 due to harsh winters in chicago but i think at least a 75/25 mix is needed in places that get warmer than 80* during the summer which is almost everywhere. just my opinion tho

for me, the difference between [ambient temps of] 95* and up vs 95* and below is pretty big. seems to be some sort of threshold. i run 200* pretty easy in traffic with it around 110* outside. 170-180* below 95* outside. just my experience.
remember that the less temp difference there is across the coil, the less cooling can occur. the rad will cool more degrees if it is receiving 70* air (ambient) while running at, say 180*, than it will if the ambient air is 110*. less delta means less absolute cooling. not much one can do.

anything over 178 at the ECT should get you into closed loop. in the old days, guys ran cool - they wanted hot oil and cold coolant. with EFI, you cant run so cold. it is said that you want the oil between 200 - 230. the exact temp is often debated. over 250 with dino oil is not good - it breaks down pretty fast. EFI 5.0's tend to keep the oil on the hot side - not uncommon to be over 250*. oil coolers are nice.

it is also kinda surprising how little coolant helps with the boiling point/freeze point. every little bit is crucial, but coolant does not help as much as one migh think. of course, if we all ran at perfect temps, there would be no worries. but if you run straight water and then have a glitch, there is no safety margin. although some do run straight water, with perhaps a WW type product and some corrosion/lubricant type product. i would not on a street car.

Hazmat, what i might recommend for mixture recommendations for others: try to run 50/50. if a little too hot, try 65/35 or 70/30. i try to recommend that people run as much coolant as possible (for glitches, as above). keep thinning it down till it runs where the person wants it. everyone's systems are a little different and some can get away with less heat transfer (more coolant, less water) and still run the same temps as someone else with less coolant. good info though - your theory sounds nice to me. i would just not necesarily jump right into such a low amount of coolant unless necessary. i bet changing the coolant twice a year kinda sucks though. :)

a lot of this was just general info i thought might kinda help - comments were not directed at anyone's posts or comments. :)

I have the same problem, one time my car actualy boiled over, although it gets the hottest when the a/c is on around the M and A. With a/c off it is around the R...
I have a 94 gt by the way, not many mods at all. And it ran hot sense the first summer i got it. I bought it in the winter time so I didn't know... I got the radiator cleaned and vatted, and the engine flushed. And a fail-safe 180* thermostat. I don't understand it myself, I am going to try and wire up the fan to run at high speed at all time... I don't know

well my statements above weren't really a fact im my head just a thought :wink: , so don't anyone worrie about that. Um temps in my car have seen 120 or so driving around without the air, i keep a thermometer on my vent for cooling purposes of the ac, but i am sure the asphalt would be hotter.

i wasn't stepping on anyones toes, just a suggestion, i would also take a waterhose and spray out the fins in the rad to make sure it is getting sufficient airflow throught it and the consensor. Then if that didn't help get a cooling system flush kit and flush it...... sorry if any of this is posted above but i didn't read every word

cliffs notes ya know

:nice:

jason

HISSIN50 said:
for me, the difference between [ambient temps of] 95* and up vs 95* and below is pretty big. seems to be some sort of threshold. i run 200* pretty easy in traffic with it around 110* outside. 170-180* below 95* outside. just my experience.
remember that the less temp difference there is across the coil, the less cooling can occur. the rad will cool more degrees if it is receiving 70* air (ambient) while running at, say 180*, than it will if the ambient air is 110*. less delta means less absolute cooling. not much one can do.

anything over 178 at the ECT should get you into closed loop. in the old days, guys ran cool - they wanted hot oil and cold coolant. with EFI, you cant run so cold. it is said that you want the oil between 200 - 230. the exact temp is often debated. over 250 with dino oil is not good - it breaks down pretty fast. EFI 5.0's tend to keep the oil on the hot side - not uncommon to be over 250*. oil coolers are nice.

it is also kinda surprising how little coolant helps with the boiling point/freeze point. every little bit is crucial, but coolant does not help as much as one migh think. of course, if we all ran at perfect temps, there would be no worries. but if you run straight water and then have a glitch, there is no safety margin. although some do run straight water, with perhaps a WW type product and some corrosion/lubricant type product. i would not on a street car.

Hazmat, what i might recommend for mixture recommendations for others: try to run 50/50. if a little too hot, try 65/35 or 70/30. i try to recommend that people run as much coolant as possible (for glitches, as above). keep thinning it down till it runs where the person wants it. everyone's systems are a little different and some can get away with less heat transfer (more coolant, less water) and still run the same temps as someone else with less coolant. good info though - your theory sounds nice to me. i would just not necesarily jump right into such a low amount of coolant unless necessary. i bet changing the coolant twice a year kinda sucks though. :)

a lot of this was just general info i thought might kinda help - comments were not directed at anyone's posts or comments. :)

while i completely agree with your cooling idea about different temps, i kinda disagree with the "need" for such a high amount of coolant. basically the coolant acts as a lubricant and pretty much nothing else. now i wouldnt recommend anything less than 10%-15% of coolant for the fact that the lubricant needs to be around at least part of the time in the when in the system.

draining out my cooling system takes maybe about 30min or so 2 times a year. have a tester for the % of coolant to water so i let it run for a lil then test it and add more water or coolant then run again to get it mixed up and blah blah....takes another 30 min. its worth it to run cooler than i ever did before because my car woudl overheat in the 50* weather as i said above. im going to try and turn off my fan settings or just reset them to see how the car reacts to that cause i want to be around the 200*-210* so im running at optimum. thats just my experience and the experience of a handful of my other friends. could just be weird cases but it hasnt failed me yet.

i say start at the least "drastic" methods then move on until your car starts to cool. thats the only way to make sure you car gets cooled and not overcooled

HazMat404 said:
i say start at the least "drastic" methods then move on until your car starts to cool. thats the only way to make sure you car gets cooled and not overcooled
i agree with ya, bud. sorry if that was not clear in my post. all i was saying is that one should try something like a 50/50 mix. if still too hot, try more water/less coolant. just as you said in your last post. we be cool.

while i agree with you, our cars were designed and tested to run for hours in the desert testing grounds (often idling) with no problems. but as parts get old and clogged, they become less efficient. we all generally use band aid type fixes, rather than renew every part. but a system in decent shape should be able to cool with a 50/50 mix if coolant/water. if one has mods, the cooling system should be upgraded with the mods.

now, that said, more water is a fine idea - just know that one will have less corrosion protection, boil over protection and the aforementioned lubrication.

you know your stuff - we just have a different vantage point. as Michael Yount says, it is a "mutual respect community." :cheers:

:) ...i knew you agreed but the lil comment about "boil over protection" just doesnt fit me too well. ur right that coolant protects the metals and hoses that it comes in contact with along with the lubricant for the water pump but it is pointless as boil over protection. many claim that they do not boil over til 260* but damage occurs way before that. id rather my water/coolant to be boiling overf before 260 so i wouldnt be driving her and let her cool down.

im not disagreeing with you but saying that coolant actually makes ur car run hotter. its good for many many things but keeping the car cool, it pretty much sucks at that. like i said, do the other things then change the ratio as a last resort if you want. i wish i did it first...might have not needed to buy a new radiator

HazMat404 said:
:) ...i knew you agreed but the lil comment about "boil over protection" just doesnt fit me too well. ur right that coolant protects the metals and hoses that it comes in contact with along with the lubricant for the water pump but it is pointless as boil over protection.
you are right. i had not thought about it too much. i cant remember if it was this thread or another that i posted it, but water does transfer heat about 2.5 times better than coolant. a 50/50 mix of E/G coolant/water does not raise the boiling point that much over 100% water, either. so i can really see your point, now that i actually get the gerbil upstairs spinning the wheel. my main worry with cooling systems is corrosion, so i tend to run no less than about 40% coolant. but that has not much to do with heat transfer, and now that i recall how little antifreeze raises the boiling point..... ive allowed my bias toward that end to cloud the facts about heat transfer....... Hmmm, ive been humbled. :cheers:

haha...no need for that at all. you are right on the fact that you are sacrificing protection for cooling. from all my research (god did my car like to overheat a year ago) and all of the knowledge of my friends, ive tried to find out what the top street cars and even drag cars run to see how much coolant/water they run. hell, the nascar cars run 100% water. no coolant at all for how many miles. great, i know they get many new parts after each race and whatnot but how many people push their cars at 200mph for 4 hours??

it kinda comes down to cooling over protection. its about the same battle as power vs gas mileage and we all know who wins that one :) . like i said, jsut try some other things first then slowly take out some coolant and add water here and there. they have testers that show the ratio just by floating balls in a plunger. very simple and works perfectly.

Hi people, I'v been getting good info from here for a long time. This will be my first reply. My 94 Stang has been overheating the same way ,I'v replaced everthing!!! I live 60ft from the sun in AZ and it runs about 110-112 outside here durring summer, so this is what I'v done to try to cool the Stang. 165 super stat , Be Cool 2-core al rad, new up/lower hoses, bypass hose, w/pump and water wetter. I backed my timing down to 8 . I have not replaced my air deverter that my wife removed for me LOL LOL. Did you ever figure out what was making your stang overheat, was it the fan relay? if so who makes a good replacement? THanks BOB