Paint done, 50 dollar method

Today I was glad I did the paint. Put up a release on the garage door incase of power outage or the garage door failing, dropped the lock mechanism on the trunk of the car and made a nice 1mmx1mm chip in the paint.

Laughed, got the rattle can out, sprayed it.... it dried and you can never tell there was a chip there :rlaugh:

I can't stress enough how I recommend this paint job, if it was a real job I would most likely be depressed and pissed at myself :D

• Sponsors (?)

did you wet sand and then buff/polish or did you buff and polish the last coat w/o wet sanding?

I am done w/ my front end and is looks really good. I don;t want to remove the shine I already have just to bring it back.

I don't have any orange peel or anything. Can I just buff the last coat w/o sanding it first?

I wetsanded the hood and polished it.....

I am not going to wetsand the whole car as it takes forever to polish it back up to the original shine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

It looks good to me, and I think I will keep it that way untill it really starts to fade down the line, then I will wetsand and polish the whole car.

Yeah I wet sanded mine with 2000 grit, but I've got base clear. There is still orange peel on the clear at the moment, but I'm gonna proceed to the polishing step because I am taking no chances on burning through it. That Clear alone was $120. Damn I wish I'd thought of the 50 dollar option.

I'm curious as well, is the $50 paint method worth the time & effort?

I had an '83 Mustang that I painted with Rustoleum and rollers and I was really happy with the results. I wasn't trying to do show quality, though. I wanted to get a coat of paint on the car to protect it. It looked great from 15 feet and I didn't spend a ton of time on it. I think you can get really good results with cheap paint, but don't expect to have the best paint at the local car show.

Also, it's no big deal to me to spend a few weeks working on a project like this. I know that some people hate working on their cars in their free time. I figure I'd rather be out in the garage than on my couch. For me it was fun and a good learning experience.

My .02

I painted my 65 w/ rustoleum in June of 07
It looks the same a year later is it did when I finished the job.

I keep it in the garage so I am sure that has a lot to do w/ the longevity. Not sure how well it would hold up if left in the sun.