Paint and Body Paint quantity

1990fox306

Jan 13, 2021
Freehold, NJ
So I have my entire car prepped for paint, since I am changing the color. I bought a gallon of paint that says it is ready to spray. Do you think that one gallon will be enough to spray the car, engine bay, and all the jambs?

The car was resprayed some time in the past to be this pearl white but they did a :poo: job and I am changing it to calypso green metallic.

It's a 1990 Fox GT

• Sponsors (?)

@95steedamustang may know a little about 'ready to paint' type paint.
Personally I have never heard of an automotive paint that does not need reducer and/or hardener unless it's in a rattle can.
But I ain't a body/paint guy, :shrug:
Not a quality product. Its meant for the guy who goes around to gravel parking lots fixing cheap cars in the middle of the lot. Go to your local automotive paint store and talk to the experts. They will set you up with what u need. But its not cheap to get the good stuff. There are PPG, sherwin and various good paint shops around. If mail order is required, I can post the number of my guy. He will mix and ship anywhere

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Not a quality product. Its meant for the guy who goes around to gravel parking lots fixing cheap cars in the middle of the lot. Go to your local automotive paint store and talk to the experts. They will set you up with what u need. But its not cheap to get the good stuff. There are PPG, sherwin and various good paint shops around. If mail order is required, I can post the number of my guy. He will mix and ship anywhere
the paint didnt look totally horrible but i definitely agree with you. I went to 6 different places near me and every single one said that they dont mix paint anymore

Also I'm just an average broke college student spending my entire paycheck on fixing up a car almost twice as old as me lol

Hopefully enough prep and sanding can make it look good :nice:

It will work but it may not last, Are you going to clear over it. Also a gallon may not be enough for a color change. When you add hardener and reducer you end up with almost 2 gals of liquid. That is enough if you know what your doing and do not have any redos. I'm an amature and barely got by, door jams and stuff can take quita a bit of paint for decent coverage so plan accordingly. Let us know how it turns out and post some pictures Good luck

the paint didnt look totally horrible but i definitely agree with you. I went to 6 different places near me and every single one said that they dont mix paint anymore

Also I'm just an average broke college student spending my entire paycheck on fixing up a car almost twice as old as me lol

Hopefully enough prep and sanding can make it look good :nice:
NAPA paint mixes colors. Sherwin Williams auto paint also mixes colors. I’ve bought from both.