Painters I need advice

Bolt on 5.0

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2002
Suffolk, NY
I am going to clean my engine bay with some simple green but wanted to know before hand if it will leave a film. The reason I am asking is because I am going to paint the engine bay either this week end or next and was wondering if the simple green will effect it in any way. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

test it in a small spot and find out..you can always remove the film in a small spot if there is any, i used to clean my R/C cars with simple green/water, then blow dry with an air compressor, spray WD-40 on plastic parts to keep em extra shiny..or in your case forget the WD

~Mark~

Do you want to know if the simple green will leave a film that will hinder the bonding of the paint you're going to be applying? If thats your question then yes it will hinder the adhesion of the new paint. After the simple green i'd really hose it down good and wipe it with a water wet rag. Then prior to painting it i'd wipe it down with some enamel reducer on some paper towels or something clean and lint free would be better.

I tend to have better luck cleaning things like engine compartments with Castrol Super Clean than Simple Green. Simple Green seems to leave a good film where the Super Clean seems to rinse away nice and do a much better job. The Super Clean is more potent so I tend to wet the areas with the hose first before I spray it on so it sort of dilutes it on the surface.

I used some cheap ($9/gallon) lacquer thinner that I use to clean my gun to degrease and prep my engine bay. I just sprayed it from a squirt bottle and scrubbed it with some coarse steel wool pads. It worked like magic, even taking off the factory paint! For protection I wore a pair of heavy rubber gloves and a $20 respirator and it took less than a full day to get it ready to go.