painting stock 18" polished bullitt wheels..

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
How do I go about this? I want to do them flat black, do these wheels come with a teflon coating? what grit sand paper should I use? should I use paint thinner to clean them after soap and water????

• Sponsors (?)

I would perhaps suggest getting them powdercoated. It will look much cleaner in the end as well as last much longer with less care.

I considered doing the same as you and painting mine but found a local shop who powdercoated them for $75 a rim and it turned out fantastic and made the Stang look entirely different....

I just wish I could find somewhere to repolish my wheels for less than the price of new ones. The previous owner took poor care of the wheels and they look completely faded. I guess it is time to buy some FR500s.

I was goin to powder coat but local shops want 100 per wheel. I have the black cobra r's but theyre 20s and really bog performance. The bullitts would just be for track days or when I want alittle more kick out of her from time to time. Reason I wont sell them is because if something happens to one of the 20" wheels or tires itll be a couple of days before I could replace and I refuse to drive on the damn donut so the bullitts would come in handy.
Posted via Mobile Device

How do I go about this? I want to do them flat black, do these wheels come with a teflon coating? what grit sand paper should I use? should I use paint thinner to clean them after soap and water????

Polished Bullitts are like 3X the price of the Painted Bullitts. You may want to consider selling them and buying what you want...

I can't remember if they're clearcoated, but i would assume they are. If that's the case, just scuff them with something (Scotchbrite scuffpads [gray pad]) would be the best. When you scuff, scuff real well to make sure the shiny is gone especially in corners and cracks. Don't go too hard on high edges that you break through the clear.
I wouldn't use paint thinner, start with a good degreaser, soap and water wash, then scuff, then alcohol, then shoot 'em. You dont want wax or any other silicone based materials on the wheel when your painting (that includes wiping them down with a rag you've ever used for waxing)

I've yet to see a powdercoat job that i really like. We do alot of painted wheels for customers, and have had a few sets powdercoated from different places, and ive always liked the painted more. Satin semigloss black is the only color that seems to look better powdercoated.

if they're not clearcoatd and are bare aluminum... painting them would be a pain, they'd need a real nice epoxy prime to adhere well. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, and it wouldn't be very cheap to have done. Buy a foose powerball, polish 'em real nice, sell 'em and then buy yourself paintable wheels.

good luck!

too much info?

Polished Bullitts are like 3X the price of the Painted Bullitts. You may want to consider selling them and buying what you want...

x2...................sorry meng ur f*kin killin me here!! Do wat you want of course, but i would kill to have ur wheels on my ride and you want to paint them? sell yours and buy another set - you'll get a better end result!! my .02