painting subframe connectors

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
Should I? I'm thinking so, because they're just bare mild steel. Now that that's decided, what shall I paint them with? Would spray paint hold up? They don't salt the roads here in the winter, but I'm sure there's still crap that might eat through to the steel. Don't wanna have them powdercoated, no money. Suggestions?

Ash

• Sponsors (?)

how about just cleaning them up and then primering it and paint it with paintable undercoating and you can either leave them the black undercoating color or paint them whatever color you want to. just my two cents

Rustoleum sounds good to me. :nice: Someone said paint after install.......be easier to paint before, will it interfere with the welding or something? I'd rather paint the whole thing beforehand and then have to repaint the welds than to paint it all when it's on the car.

Ash

Asha'man said:
Rustoleum sounds good to me. :nice: Someone said paint after install.......be easier to paint before, will it interfere with the welding or something? I'd rather paint the whole thing beforehand and then have to repaint the welds than to paint it all when it's on the car.

Ash

paint them except for the ends where they will be welded in. then once they are on the car you can paint over the welds.

I also painted mine with weld through primer

from Griots garage. no flames please for the price!

It is weld through zinc, so the installer literally welded right over the paint. This way, there was no bare metal sealed anywhere....

if you don't paint under the subframes, there will be bare metal pressed up against your floorpan, and rust will come out.

Yes, I spent about $40 for the griots stuff and the por 15. The way I look at it, once welded in, the subframes are no longer a "part"; they are now my chassis, as they are fully welded to the car, and no different than a rocker panel or floorboard. In other words, I would not want my chassis painted with rustoleum or krylon. Now if it was a bolt on suspension part or bracket, that might be different. But S&^#t, this is your frame we are talking about!

I sleep alot better knowing that my chassis is prepped and sealed up really well, there are no hidden cavities of bare metal anywhere, and more importantly, I wont have to do this job ever again.

bcmbcmbcm said:
from Griots garage. no flames please for the price!

It is weld through zinc, so the installer literally welded right over the paint. This way, there was no bare metal sealed anywhere....

bcmbcmbcm:

Just curious, how many cans of the Zinc primer did you use?

Thanks,

DJ

Paint them with standard black paint and then get a spray can of rust proofing OIL. Here in Ontario Canada they salt like nuts so the rustproofing business for the auto industry is BIG business. I don't drive mine in the winter, but rust proof anyways to prevent rusting from dampness in the summer and spring months. Most auto stores or a professional rust shop sell their own stuff in a spray can. Every so often like at every oil change, just spray the stuff on the subframes and you should be fine. OR, you could just pay the $50 and they can oil spray your entire undercarriage and it's good for a year depending on the weather.

Go to a place that uses oil for rust proofing and not the "tar-ish" type paint as this stuff creates pockets where moisture can get in and then start rusting underneith.

I don't know what businesses they have where you are from, but here we have RUST CHECK and KROWN RUST CONTROL. I like KROWN the best. Their oil solution is better and more durable.

2 coats Rustoleum, then 2 coats of Dupli Color 1200 degree engine ceramic spray paint. Not because it's heat safe, but because it's a much tougher paint and will actually withstand some chips. Other than that, a cool idea would be to get that Dupli Color bed liner stuff, it's just like that Rhino Liner stuff but you can buy it in a can. That would be super tough and hold up to chips better than any paint, even powdercoat.