Painting tips?

other_shoe

May 4, 2007
For years, my 67 convertible had a rear quarter trim panel (the metal part) from a 65-6. I swapped it for a 67 about a year back, but I need to paint it to match the interior.

I'm in the process of removing some surface rust, and that is going well, though suggestions are always welcome.

My bigger concern is not smoothing out the crinkle finish/texture on the metal. I'm planning on doing several very light coats of the rattle can, and I'd be most grateful for additional tips, especially since the pro who painted my doors rendered them smooth, which makes me think keeping the crinkle is at least somewhat difficult.

• Sponsors (?)

I used a scotch pad on my interior panels....you could also use a wire wheel on a drill, or a steel wool. Just make sure you get it really clean afterward, maybe rub it down with some paint thinner. I too used a rattle can of medium gloss black on my panels (black interior) and they look great.

If the panel has been previously painted in lacquer, then I found that removing the panel and using lacquer thinner with a piece of steel wool or scotch bright easily removes the paint.

The cans of lacquer that is sold by the parts houses will not fill in the grain if light coats are used. Resist the temptation to use a primer first, the factory didn't and unless the paint gets scratched the metal will not rust.