Parts list for T-bird trans swap...clutch..pilot bearing?

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Ok, I can get my hands on a t-bird 5 spd tranny from a turbo coupe at a decnt price. Now I need to know what is all needed to swap it into my car, someone told me a need a special clutch and a pilot bearing, does anyone know the exasct parts that I need? Thanx alot

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, the input shaft is smaller on the 2.3 trannies than on the 5.0 ones. You should probably get a 2.3 pilot bearing, but I don't know if it'll fit in your crank just right. You can use all your old stuff, bell/clutch/etc. I hope you're not putting down major power, because the 2.3 tranny (even from a TC) has a lower torque rating than the 5.0.

Ash

sleeper89 said:
i know the nose of the input shaft is longer on those. it will fit without issue (i've done it) but some guys get upset and say you need to take some off.

-steve

Not sure, but my turbo coupe has a hydraulic clutch on it. Not sure if that would matter. But thats the only thing i could think of.

Don

I am keeping my current bellhousing and clutch, I am getting a turbo coupe tranny from the 87-88 models which I was told is just as strong as the t-5s from 5.0s, but this trans is only a hold me over for a year or however long it last.