Pics of 17X10 on 65 fastback

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
Rowland Heights,California
I went to a show this past weekend in Bakersfield and saw this light blue fastback that i say a add a year ago and the owner stated he has 17X10' AR TT2's with 275/40's. I didnt think it was possible, but heres the pics. He said he used a axle out of a 71' Mach 1 ( i think) which is a 1/2 wider and with disc brakes adds another 3/8". The wheels are made for a 93' foxbody, but he didnt know the specs. Theres minor rubbing(no worse then mine), but tires had a huge footprint.
View attachment 432674
View attachment 432676
(on a weird angle)
View attachment 432678

and my car and my brothers bug.
View attachment 432680

my new blower tube( i cut too short and need to re make:bang: )
View attachment 432682

• Sponsors (?)

justinhip said:
Why does it seem as though the tire sticks out on the passenger side and sits right on the driver side?
It has air shocks in the rear but was on a incline. It sat straight when he drove in.

American Racing makes the AR TT2's in 17x9.5"
10" wide rims is not an option according to their website.
your right:nice: .they make a 9.5 or a 10.5. I looked under the car and there was still about 3/8" next to the leafs.Hmmm, he passed it off as 10" wheels all weekend.:nono:

i know this guy pretty well. we attend the same fri night show every week... the spot he is parked in dips down about midway down his car. the tire on the driver side is actually suck higher than usual causing the pass. side to drop down. he has to keep the rear shocks aired up to keep the tires from rubbing in dips

whhels

I have 18x9 on the rear and 17x8 up front on my 65 GT convertible. Used a 1" lowering kit and have no problems with rubbing. Wheels were custom made by American Racing

mike

The logic of using the 2" wider rearend, adding an inch to backspace would give this result. I'm assuming the rear fender lips are rolled and the inner wheelhouses are notched. This tire would sit about 1/2" of an inch from the leaf and about 1/4" from the inside of the front inner wheelhouse which is too close without notching! The out will rub a little but it looks like he has it lifted. Panhard is bar highly recommended!

mdjay said:
The logic of using the 2" wider rearend, adding an inch to backspace would give this result. I'm assuming the rear fender lips are rolled and the inner wheelhouses are notched. This tire would sit about 1/2" of an inch from the leaf and about 1/4" from the inside of the front inner wheelhouse which is too close without notching! The out will rub a little but it looks like he has it lifted. Panhard is bar highly recommended!
He did no t roll the lips( i checked) and the inner is not touched either(so he says)

dodgestang said:
Well....you wouldn't need to roll the lips when using air shocks pumped up like has been reported in this thread thereby preventing the suspension from actually working and keeping the rear artificially elevated adding high stress to a sheet metal mount point.
Hey, ya wanna have a chassis that works and doesn't destroy your unibody, or ya wanna look good?

iskwezm said:
He did no t roll the lips( i checked) and the inner is not touched either(so he says)

I can see a little rub on the tires from the wheel lips.

I think these are 9" rims because of the way the tire is sitting relational to the rim. I know what fits in there and I can't say the 10 would make it without moving those inner wheelhouses then the leafs are right there too close for comfort!

I'm just now going to move to the 10 wide rim with either a 5.75 or 6" BS since we just did the TCP rear CO. Haven't got under there and measured yet but the 305 NT01 rr slick is going on it at that point :) Not in a hurry but it's in the near future!

iskwezm said:
i know poeple keep looking at the pic and seeing the way the car sits with the back end all high but if you look at the first pic where the fender lip is just above the tire is the way the car sits,it wasnt as high as it looks.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was implying the rear was 'jacked' up. Just artificially held higher than it should be when the suspension is attempting to go through up and down motions to cushion the ride.

mdjay said:
I can see a little rub on the tires from the wheel lips.

I think these are 9" rims because of the way the tire is sitting relational to the rim. I know what fits in there and I can't say the 10 would make it without moving those inner wheelhouses then the leafs are right there too close for comfort!

I'm just now going to move to the 10 wide rim with either a 5.75 or 6" BS since we just did the TCP rear CO. Haven't got under there and measured yet but the 305 NT01 rr slick is going on it at that point :) Not in a hurry but it's in the near future!
thats what i figured, because i remember we talked at Knotts and i was taking mental notes, and yes there was a little rub.

The whole point of this thread was if it possible to stuff a 10" wheel in there WITHOUT any major cutting.

65notch said:
i know this guy pretty well. we attend the same fri night show every week... the spot he is parked in dips down about midway down his car. the tire on the driver side is actually suck higher than usual causing the pass. side to drop down. he has to keep the rear shocks aired up to keep the tires from rubbing in dips

hes gonna be pissed when his air shocks ruin the rear floor in his fastback! they will eventually punch a hole thru the floor