Playing catch up to z28's...

Im not crapping on anyone's parade but I think your chances of taking an LS1 with stock heads slim at best. Unless there worked.

I raced a new SRT-4 at the track. It was a cool night and I had street tires. Off the launch I had hella tire spin, however I did quickly catch the SRT-4 and w a little hit of the giggle gas in 2nd gear managed to run a 13.7 @106mph. Now if I had some drag radials or been able to improve my launch with that speed I have no doubt that I could have hit very low 13s. I didn't have time for a second run because the track was way overcrowded.

My point here is that I had E7te heads. But they had been fully ported and polished. There is a huge difference between the stock heads I had and these.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys my dad's got a 99 LS1 Z28.

He has a computer chip, air filter, gears.

Raced a 2003 Cobra from 60-100, we were neck and neck the whole time.

Damn LS1's are fast ass hell.

greenlantern said:
Off the launch I had hella tire spin, however I did quickly catch the SRT-4 and w a little hit of the giggle gas in 2nd gear managed to run a 13.7 @106mph.
My point here is that I had E7te heads. But they had been fully ported and polished. There is a huge difference between the stock heads I had and these.

Well you need to get some tires or go rethink how you drive. With stock heads and cam i was going 13.6s at 101.70-102mph. Just think i would have beaten you and you would have been using nitrous.

Ferocity02- Now i see what ur saying, but i was just quoting average numbers. 440rwhp is on the very wild side of N/A LS1s. I have had a few friends with them, and one his 392rwhp, and one just cracked 400rwhp with H/C/LS6 intake. Which is strong. When i say 370+rwhp with a 347 i mean with a light streetable combo. Hell there are a few people on here with 320-330rwhp with just H/C/I on their 5.0s. I have "Heard" of people hitting 450rwhp with a 347, there are so many variables. I know you said you dont know much abou stangs, basically a 347 stroked 5.0L will match up with a 346 cube LS1 very nicely. When you stroke the LS1 the you have to start comparing it to a stroked 351W.

mto502 said:
I think you're being awfully optomistic. You'll be lucky to see just over 400 rwhp WITH the heads. I know a few that have done the stage 2 ARE package with heads and cam and they're all around 400-412 rwhp including the tune. These numbers are with cutouts open, no cats and all the other mods you mentioned you wanted to have. In fact F-Body folks are also finding that maintaining the stock TB is achieving better numbers. Also, don't remove the screen.

I dont think it's very optimistic at all. I don't doubt you knowledge of LS1's and mods, but an LS1 running under 400 rwhp with heads either has a very poor tune or there is some other major problems. 400 rwhp is VERY doable, especially for a car that has nearly every bolt-on avaliable. Any H/C/Bolt-on LS1 under 400 rwhp I would imagine that there is some other problem with the car, or they are running the stock LS1 intake, which is a big restriction.

As for your TB comment, you must be confusing the MAF with the TB. Ported TB's have been proven on the dyno to offer around 5-8 rwhp on a stock LS1, more for modded motors. The MAF sensor however, is awesome from the factory, and should not be changed to an 85mm version until there is about 450 rwhp. Removing the screen on the MAF is definitly a good mod. I have ported mine as well, but got dyno tuned shortly after to fix the A/F.

mattkimsey said:
Lets not forget about the f-bodies dinky 7.5 rear end. Some people have broke them in a stock car on drag radials. Better 60 foot times go to the Mustangs.

Yes, very true. The stock Chevy 10-bolt is trash. Its great for stock cars, but just wasn't meant to be at the strip. With a sticky set of drag radials or ET streets, and some high RPM launches, I wouldn't expect the rear end to last more than a couple runs :bang:

WhiteDevil said:
Ferocity02- Now i see what ur saying, but i was just quoting average numbers. 440rwhp is on the very wild side of N/A LS1s. I have had a few friends with them, and one his 392rwhp, and one just cracked 400rwhp with H/C/LS6 intake. Which is strong. When i say 370+rwhp with a 347 i mean with a light streetable combo. Hell there are a few people on here with 320-330rwhp with just H/C/I on their 5.0s. I have "Heard" of people hitting 450rwhp with a 347, there are so many variables. I know you said you dont know much abou stangs, basically a 347 stroked 5.0L will match up with a 346 cube LS1 very nicely. When you stroke the LS1 the you have to start comparing it to a stroked 351W.

As I said before, I dont think H/C/I LS1's running 392-400 rwhp are exactly running at their full potential. I just skimmed through the LS1 dyno archives and there was one cam only car at 405 rwhp, and one bolt-on only car at 375 rwhp, and even one with a small LS6 cam at 399 rwhp.

Here are some good links:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165913

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180572

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207060 (read the 4th and 6th posts :rolleyes:)

Yikes ! Yes I meant the MAF.

I don't have great knowledge about the mods for F-Body's in general but what I do know is that the heads and cam packages I've seen put together here locally have been producing slightly above the 400 rwhp mark. One fellow I know who just had his 01 Firehawk stolen just had an ARE heads and cam package put together and he was right around 412 rwhp with tune.
Another guy just had a similar package done and he was around 398 rwhp. In fact I raced him a couple of time at the track.

mto502 said:
Yikes ! Yes I meant the MAF.

I don't have great knowledge about the mods for F-Body's in general but what I do know is that the heads and cam packages I've seen put together here locally have been producing slightly above the 400 rwhp mark. One fellow I know who just had his 01 Firehawk stolen just had an ARE heads and cam package put together and he was right around 412 rwhp with tune.
Another guy just had a similar package done and he was around 398 rwhp. In fact I raced him a couple of time at the track.

Yikes! Did he ever get his car back? There are some H/C LS1's that dyno around 400 rwhp, it obviously depends greatly on the parts used. In the third link I posted up there is it thought that 390 rwhp H/C LS1 is pathetic to say the least... especially when some cam only cars are putting out more than than :shrug:

its kind of refreshing to have a camaro guy come in here and shoot the breeze with us instead of starting a big pissing contest. the LS1 motors can be sick as hell, but with every engine, you need to plan for a combo, not a solid part. Its possible to have a HCI LS1 and only have 370 to the wheels.

Ferocity02 said:
As I said before, I dont think H/C/I LS1's running 392-400 rwhp are exactly running at their full potential. I just skimmed through the LS1 dyno archives and there was one cam only car at 405 rwhp, and one bolt-on only car at 375 rwhp, and even one with a small LS6 cam at 399 rwhp.
Those are some great links. And definatly some serious cars. About the LS6 cam, ive seen a few stock Z06s and they dyno at about 350rwhp give or take, Why would an LS1 with that cam make that much power?

Most people that want to stay emissions legal with an ls1 or put in weak cam need h/c/i to make 400rwhp.

Most people with 347 stangs don't use the right parts to make 420+ rwhp. A good combo would be 347 w/ higher compression pistons, FTI cam, longtubes, AFR 205's or TFS-R. A guy on Corral (clnpwr) made 474 rwhp with a 347.

Here is a womans car that lives near me http://fbodymotorsports.com/our_cars she has a stroker kit h/c/i and makes 425hp...she goes on to say they can get that out of their h/c/i cars now though.

I stopped reading the thread half way through because I'm tired so if it has been said sorry but here goes the route i'd take:

4.10 gears with a sticky tire (drag radial or et.street)
full exhaust (long tubes, o/r mid pipe, catback)
pullies and a 150 dry shot (and a heck of a driver)
SHOULD beat STOCK LS1s all day

BUT around here there are more cammed and juiced, LS1s than i can shake a stick at, and one must choose his/her "fights" carefully

and i agree that the "ram air" on SS's/WS6s do very little... Z28s,Formulas,T/As,SS's and WS6s of the same year perform equally

either way good luck on ur F-body hunting! :nice:

17yrOldStanger said:
its kind of refreshing to have a camaro guy come in here and shoot the breeze with us instead of starting a big pissing contest. the LS1 motors can be sick as hell, but with every engine, you need to plan for a combo, not a solid part. Its possible to have a HCI LS1 and only have 370 to the wheels.

I have seen a h/c/i stang with only 250hp. He didn't match his parts very well and he never got it tuned.

WhiteDevil said:
Those are some great links. And definatly some serious cars. About the LS6 cam, ive seen a few stock Z06s and they dyno at about 350rwhp give or take, Why would an LS1 with that cam make that much power?

First off, and LS6 is pretty close to an LS1 except for the cam and heads, intake, and some minor block and fueling differences. Stock Z06's usually go about 350-365 rwhp stock. The reason the LS6 cammed LS1's dyno so high is because they have many other mods, which a stock LS6 does not have, such as LT headers, induction mods, bolt-ons, etc... If you just put a LS6 cam into an otherwise stock LS1, it would probably put down about 340 rwhp.

Ferocity02 said:
Yikes! Did he ever get his car back? There are some H/C LS1's that dyno around 400 rwhp, it obviously depends greatly on the parts used. In the third link I posted up there is it thought that 390 rwhp H/C LS1 is pathetic to say the least... especially when some cam only cars are putting out more than than :shrug:
Nope, she's a goner. It happened at the dealership too !!
You may even know him from LS1tech, LS1.COM or LS2.COM. He's a moderator on LS2.COM now but was a mod on LS1.COM.

Ferocity02 said:
First off, and LS6 is pretty close to an LS1 except for the cam and heads, intake, and some minor block and fueling differences. Stock Z06's usually go about 350-365 rwhp stock. The reason the LS6 cammed LS1's dyno so high is because they have many other mods, which a stock LS6 does not have, such as LT headers, induction mods, bolt-ons, etc... If you just put a LS6 cam into an otherwise stock LS1, it would probably put down about 340 rwhp.
Oh ok i seemed like you were saying that with just the cam it made that kind of power.

i don't see what all the fuss is about them SS's. I was neck to neck with one in my 5 spd. Hpipe, cold air, 14*, sticky radials, but also subs. Do they make Lt1 SS's? Maybe the guy put the emblems on there?