Please help me get 300 rwhp

SVT87

Sep 10, 2002
Okay, here's what I already have and plan to keep: 302 block machined and bored over by .030, E-303 Cam, Federal Mogul Forged Pistons, stock crank, stock rods, FMS 1.6 Roller Rockers (pedestal mount), MAF EFI

Here's what I have that I plan to replace: Stock HO intake, stock E7 heads, stock 19# injectors.

I built this engine a couple years ago, and it has served me faithfully. I've got around 40k miles on the bottom end now, and it's doing wonderfully. I should also mention that this is in a 1987 Ford Crown Victoria with a race-built wide ratio AOD. My torque converter stalls around 2600-2700, and this engine will run through a 3.73 locking rear.

Money, to some degree, is no object. I do not, however, want to tear apart the lower half of my engine, so everything listed there stays. This car is my daily driver, but I occasionally take it out to the track, and once my suspension and braking mods are done I'd like to take it out for SCCA AutoX. Because I live in Michigan there is no emissions testing, so I've removed my cats, air pump, EGR, etc. I have a high flow exhaust system that is probably most restricted by my stock Mustang shorty headers. So basically I'm looking for some heads, an intake, some injectors, and possibly headers that can get me to 300 RWHP and still keep this power in a usable range in the street. I'd also rather not change out my camshaft as I really like the E-cam. Whatever setup I get will be professionally dyno tuned/chipped. What combo would you guys recommend?

Oh, here's a pic of the beast in question (minus bumpers, which are normally on):

frontish9en.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

you can jump on the "bandwagon" and go for the known power maker combo.

afr heads, performer rpm II intake. 24 pound injectors, 1 5/8" short or longtube headers.

those parts out of the box should get you that 300 rwhp, especially if you get it tuned good.

88SC_GT said:
you can jump on the "bandwagon" and go for the known power maker combo.

afr heads, performer rpm II intake. 24 pound injectors, 1 5/8" short or longtube headers.

those parts out of the box should get you that 300 rwhp, especially if you get it tuned good.

Will that head/intake combo give me usable street power?

theres people who drive those combo's daily.

the intake is 1500-6500 powerband. will work nice on the street. pretty expensive though if you buy them new. heads will run 1300, then about 500 for the intake. plus injectors, maf, afpr, fuel pump youll want, gaskets, depends on if you get pedestal or stud mount rockers, on and on. you said money isint really an option though so it shouldnt be a problem.

yeah you should come in under 3k still..

figure 1800 shipped for the heads/intake. then you add on everything else, will probably come close at the end but it can be done for under 3k

I have similar plans once I go through my shortblock. I'm shooting for close to 300rwhp with the afr 165's and a performer intake (more street friendly than rpm), along with upgrading the fuel pump and putting in 24lb injectors.

Nice sleeper by the way :flag: would look really good painted silver with the rims you have.

NKau said:
THAT'S sonic blue? Not a real flattering picture; I'm sure it looks a 10 times better in the sun.

Heh, yeah I know. I took it with my cell phone camera. I"m going to get some nice hi-res, well lit shots after I get the bumpers on and get it detailed this weekend.