Polishing people

DMAN302 said:
The haze is SO frustrating with this pc..I have managed to get quite a nice appearing finish, only to have it haze up on it's own (though still quite nice) . Even the best available products and softest cloths seem to leave fine scratches and mild haze on the pc. The parts look GREAT...nice job removing the seam and really a nice finish surface...just don't get overy frustrated, it's just not a great casting. This is the only pc I have dealt with that seems to have a desire to be difficult...I just think of it as a typical ford part...:)
Any advice on what I should use?

• Sponsors (?)

the 600 was not required but didn't hurt, I usually stop at around 400 with an orbital sander. I finish with a sewn 3" buff on a high speed grinder and white rouge...best method I've found for close to a mirrored finish. From what I can see you kickin but..seriously nice finish on your previous parts, I think you'll find with some time in that what your presently doing will give you the best finish it's going to get. Just don't get frustrated trying to match your previous finished products, and keep a coat of wax on the part..that and the IAC are the only parts that seem to keep up better with wax..everything else is very cooperative. I really really like your work...you should be damn proud!! can't wait to see your parts in place.

exactly! I work for an industrial distributor that deals with just about every polishing product available to me for the taking. Even with the tools, products, time I have to sometimes just accept it's only going to look as good as the material will allow it to. Paul I'd like to thankyou for all your tips...if it were not for you I'd still be using scotchbright and never dull :). Oh and a thanks to my companies owner for all the products donated to my R&D ;)

ALMOST STOCK said:
Bottom line!
It's not so much you or your technique, it’s the part or the alloy of aluminum used in the part is the reason for the hazing. IMO

Pot metal is a sneaky insideous thing that manfuacturers use to reduce the cost of a piece of cast aluminum. It aboutthe crappiest alloy you canfind and you're right. Polish that puppy forever and it won't look any better. I've seen some folks have some success with various waxes. Something to fill in the gaps in the material surface and make it shiney. Still won't be miirror though, I'm sure.

Thanks guys for the advice. I have all day to try and make something happen since the girl is hanggin' out with friends. I did notice part of my problem was the surface being wavy so I'm gonna try block sanding. I got my redbull so check back in a few hours for results :nice: .

I'm finished that pita bracket. There is still a very slight haze but overall I'm very happy with how it turned out.
Now the pic whoring!
finishedpsbracket021.jpg

finishedpsbracket018.jpg

This one shows it in the light, the least flattering shot...
View attachment 483283

View attachment 483285

Attachments

• finishedpsbracket021.jpg
    finishedpsbracket021.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 31
  • finishedpsbracket018.jpg
    finishedpsbracket018.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 25
OK peeps jes thought I'd add my YS bracket to my polished collection. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's steel.
before,
polishingareabracket001.jpg

After !
finishedysbracket013.jpg

finishedysbracket016.jpg

Oh an in case you don't already know, THIS IS A DIRTY JOB!
View attachment 479196

Attachments

• polishingareabracket001.jpg
    polishingareabracket001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 23
  • finishedysbracket013.jpg
    finishedysbracket013.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 27
  • finishedysbracket016.jpg
    finishedysbracket016.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 25
Holy cow, you made a mess!

That YS bracket looks great, especially for what does look like steel. Hope it stays that way!

I was trying new techniques, and this was done with 220, 320, nylon wheel, tripoli and finally white rouge:

bt1.jpg

Better results than when I wasted time with grits 80-180, and in half the time.

mansonozz said:
I was trying new techniques, and this was done with 220, 320, nylon wheel, tripoli and finally white rouge:
Better results than when I wasted time with grits 80-180, and in half the time.
I used a 120 flap wheel to get out the seem + 700 grit trizact on an expander wheel for my tensioner. Don't you just love tensioners :D
Where did you get the nylon wheel?

I think I got it at Sears. What's 700-grit trizact and expander wheel? :shrug:

I like anything that's flat, lol. I just sanded another master cylinder yesterday, gonna buff it out tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: nevermind, I Googled it :p I do my stuff with a drill & buffs for now. Should be getting a new buffing motor from a friend as a gift (or cheap payment, however you wanna look at it - lol) for when I do polish all the engine components for his car.

Trizact. expensive but awesome time saver!
View attachment 479180
I broke down and bought a 3/4 hp buffing motor from harbor freight for like 80 bucks and picked up a quick change system too because as you know every metal is different and it makes finding the right buff/compound combination alot easier. I was using a drill but I found it alot harder to keep my pieces in place while I work.

this is my new set-up
polishingareabracket018.jpg

The bar stool really is a requirement for hours on end of polishing. The table came with the house which was built in the early 1900's and looks pretty old but serves it's purpose :nice: .

Attachments

• polishingareabracket018.jpg
    polishingareabracket018.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 26
No ide a- put a magnet on it. If it sticks, it's steel. It really looks like it but I don't know if that's some kind of coating that was put on it so it wouldn't be left raw.

Oh, I somehow missed half of page 2 and 3, so when I went back and saw your picture (dirty and giving thumbs up) I busted out laughing at work. You should make that one your avatar :rlaugh:

He can make things shiny, he never said he has mechanical ability.

Good to hear it's not steel. I wouldn't have expected it, but ya never know!