Positive Displacement on a budget...

matthend

Aug 22, 2011
So I have been bitten by the bug. I am now trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Do I do a Tork Tech kit or find a used KB? I dont want to go crazy with the power, and will DD my car. Should I start buying the little things now, since I wont be spending big bucks till I sell my bike. All used parts are fine with me, should I start combing all the forum classifieds? Any and all advice is welcome.
Thanks!
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

What's your end game? Build a motor and go for big power (500+), or keep the stock motor together and enjoy it at it's limits (<450)?

If you are going to build a motor and want room to upgrade, I'd get the complete Tork Tech kit with the TVS 1900 or TVS 2300 (depending on how much power you are looking for), or the Kenne Bell 2.2 or 2.6. But in either of these cases, you'll be spending $6000+ just for the blower setup.

If you aren't planning on building a motor, there's no need to spend $6k on a kit when a stock, unported M112 will exceed the power limits of the stock motor. Here's what I would do:

-Tork Tech Eaton kit ($1800 last time I checked)
-Cobra or Lightning supercharger/intake/heat exchanger/throttle body/etc. I have seen complete kits like this go for less than $700. Just keep an eye on Ebay, Craigslist, forum classifieds, etc.
-Cobra/Lightning injectors and MAF, SVT Focus fuel pump. I personally bought all 3 of those items for $250
-Handheld programmer if you don't already have one. $350
-Dyno tune. $300
-Miscellaneous stuff $100

So, for less that $3500 you can piece together an intercooled positive displacement supercharger setup. This should make 400 rwhp with relative ease. Pretty dang good deal, if you ask me.

Yeah, i dont want to go extreme, going to keep the internals stock. somewhere around 350-400 rwhp would be fine. Sounds like tork tech is gonna be the way to go so far... time to start shopping around for used parts while I wait to buy the TT kit. Would it be worth buying the SCT tuner first, would it be beneficial even with my bolt ons before i go forced induction?

There is quite the laundry list of parts to get for the Tork Tech setup. I know people on here are happy with theirs but that it does take quite a few pieces.

There is quite the laundry list of parts to get for the Tork Tech setup. I know people on here are happy with theirs but that it does take quite a few pieces.

That is true. It would take at least a month or two if you were trying to find deals. But it is very possible if you are patient.

A real quick search on Ebay netted me this, which is a GREAT deal. After that, you need:
-Heat exchanger
-IC pump and reservoir
-Throttle body and intake tube
-Fuel pump
-Programmer
-Tork Tech kit
-Miscellaneous hoses and belts

Maybe something else I missed, but I think that's pretty much it.

OP, if you are definitely going to go this route and buy a programmer anyway, it'd definitely be worth it to go ahead and get the programmer. Get it from American Muscle and let Bama burn a custom tune for your vehicle. Should be worth 10 horsepower at the least.

Tork tech kit WILL NOT take a lightning blower. I got my whole tork tech kit together for 2200$ not counting the tune. Im making enough power to where i need a to be saving for a shortblock.

Yes, you can get the manifold with or without an intercooler. I wouldn't waste time getting one without.

Terminator Intercooled Kit for the '99-04 GT

Included:
# Aluminum lower intake manifold with remote coolant thermostat housing.
# High capacity intercooler resides inside the lower manifold directly below the customer provided '03/04 Cobra Supercharger.
# Front engine cross brace assembly that provides a independent 8-rib supercharger drive assembly with all belt tensioners and idlers.
# 7" lower piggy back style crank pulley that attaches to the factory pulley dampener to complete the separate 8-rib drive belt assembly.
# Installation is straight-forward and can easily be completed by any DIY enthusiast with basic hand tools in a weekend or less. Our detailed Installation Instructions are shown on the left side of the main page, or see the link below.

Also needed:
# Terminator Supercharger with pulley and appropriate belt.
# Larger fuel injectors to meet what ever HP/TQ level you achieve. We expect most who use this kit will easily achieve 350 to 400 HP, depending upon boost level so TTI suggests at least 39 to 42# injectors.
# Upgraded in-tank fuel pump.
# Air to water heat exchanger.
# Fluid pump to transfer coolant between the intercooler core and the heat exchanger.
# Fluid reservoir to allow for a place to add coolant and check fluid level.
# Coolant lines, hose clamps, engine belts, etc. are not included since we do not know what you plan to use for a heat exchanger, or where you will be mounting it.
# Complete intake assembly, such as a throttle body, intake tube, MAFS, and filter.
# Custom computer tune

^^I have seen ALL of these things (minus the tune) sold at one time on Ebay for less than $1000, on multiple occasions.

Last time they had the price listed, the intercooled manifold was around $1900. So $1900 for the manifold + $1000 for the blower and accessories + $300 for a tune + $300 for miscellaneous stuff you always need = $3500 total. Pretty sweet deal for a PD blower when you consider it'll be at least a couple thousand more for a Kenne Bell.

Dug up a quote of yours sneaky from an older thread :D

I am in the process of upgrading my Tork Tech intercooled kit to use the TVS 2300 blower (see my build thread for details). As such, my old Magnuson MP112, throttle body, plenum, intercooler core, and mounting plate are available for sale. If you're interested, PM me.

I actually wanted to go to "Budget Positive Displacement" route and purchased a Rare Ford SVO Supercharger off Craigslist just by luck. I decided after getting the SVO blower that I wanted an intercooled kit because i live where its HOT so i sold it to Sneaky98.

I did ALOT of homework before I purchased my Kenne Bell Kit and was almost going to buy a Tork Tech.

I found out that the Tork Tech kit involves ALOT of piecing together parts. You have to find alot of little thing which will end up driving you crazy. Little nuts and bolts to mount thing, you gotta find a Heat Exchanger and buy all the lines, and your own I/C Tank, Plus the TB cables and all this other little stuff.

I was about to order the tork tech kit when i realized all the stuff I had to order would have been overwhelming and the car would have been down for a WHILE while all the work is done. For me it got even worst because since i am a 98 GT I would have had to convert to COP AND swap timing covers which i didnt really want to do.

After doing some math, I came to the conclusion that it would cost a little over $4,000-$4,500 for a tork tech kit with all the best goodies unless i was trying to find used deals and if i wanted a ported blower.

In the end, I decided to just save a little more cash and get the Kenne Bell. I bought the kenne bell with EVERY extra including the BIGGEST Ford Fuel pump (Aviator Pump), 75mmTB, Big Air Intake, and the BAP. Including Tuning and all the fluids it end up costing close to $6,000 for the Kenne Bell kit. Tuning cost about $1000 for the tune AND the SCT XCAL3.

The reason I ended up going with the Kenne Bell Kit Was...
1. WARRANTY. The KB kit comes with a 1 year warranty. That means if anything goes wrong, i send it back.

2. Twin Screw. The twin screw is a Much more efficient supercharger than a Eaton.

3. Kenne Bell is 45 min from my house So if i have any problems i deal with the face to face.

4. Fits under stock Hood - The Tork Tech Kit doesnt fit under that stock hood and requires cutting or a new hood. I wanted it to fit under the stock hood.

5. Everything came included with the kit which made install a breeze.

In the end, I was looking for something on a budget, but ended up waiting an extra 8 months and getting the KB kit. I feel it was a MUCH better choice for me.

Dug up a quote of yours sneaky from an older thread :D

Thanks for finding that! I've made at least 5 posts similar to that about the Tork Tech kit, but have been too lazy to look them up.

Great post Handz.

While I think the Tork Tech kit is a great option, it definitely bears mentioning how much more 'complicated' it is. If you have any kind of mechanical abilities and/or patience, I think it will be no big deal. But if you want a plug-n-play kit, I wouldn't recommend it.

I am very technically inclined and can do pretty much everything on a car..... This being said I said no to the Tork Tech kit because its mainly a "Tuner Kit" which requires extra work and parts to going.

.... Just save up for the Kenne Bell. Twin Screw Efficiency will blow your mind.

I dont think ANYONE on here can get a positive displacement blower for less than Sneaky98 did.... I know, cause i sold it to him lol

I doubt you will see 400rwhp with that non-intercooled blower.

I would just keep it at 6psi and run it safe all day long. Yeah, i can turn my I/C Kenne Bell kit up to 11psi but i can just leave it at 9psi and drive it everyday with no issue forever.

I doubt you will see 400rwhp with that non-intercooled blower.

I would just keep it at 6psi and run it safe all day long. Yeah, i can turn my I/C Kenne Bell kit up to 11psi but i can just leave it at 9psi and drive it everyday with no issue forever.

He WONT see 400rwhp out of an non IC blower.

On another note...piecing together the tork tech was ZERO problem and it looks factory.

Keep on hatin'.....y'all just don't know what I've got planned. :D

OOh wait... I do!!!

blown_engine_augusta09.jpg

:D

Attachments

• blown_engine_augusta09.jpg
    blown_engine_augusta09.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 271