Possible Headlight overheating problem?

lilblueskeeter

Mar 11, 2006
After reading a ton of posts about the infamous headlight fog light problem, I cannot seem to find anything but answers pertaining to that problem. I haven't had fog lights for a few years now so I was wondering if anyone knows of anything else that would keep causing my lights to go off after driving with my brights on for a while (10-15 min). I can then turn them off for a few seconds and they will come back on, but will again turn off after a while. It doesn't happen with the lights on dim, so it acts like its overloading the electrical system. All I keep finding is how to fix the problem by working on the fog lights. If it is an overload on the electrical system, how would I go about fixing my problem? If not what else could it be?

Thanks in advance,
Danny.

• Sponsors (?)

The headlight switch has a circuit breaker. With the slight extra draw of the high beams, it might be opening the circuit till the breaker cools back off. This could be due to incorrect wattage bulbs, a weak (worn) breaker, etc.

You could swap in a fresh switch or use a relay on the high beams. Be sure the bulbs used are of the stock wattage.

My first question is do you have foglights?

Second question is are you running stock 9004 bulbs and not some superbright blue bulbs or something like that?

I have a 1989 GT so i do have the Headlight/Fog light switch but have no fog lights bolted in or wired up. And I just have factory replacement bulbs from the Carquest store i work at.

Thanks for the quick replies, Danny.

Again, have you swapped in a spare switch? The high beams draw an extra couple of amps over the low beams. If your switch's breaker is weak, this could be enough to open the circuit with highs but not lows.

Good luck.

check the connector that plugs into switch.. Its prob melted and worn from use before with both head light and fog lights be used! Change out that plug and should fix your problem... If not your problem then its prob the switch

I'll give the headlight switch a shot. I've already replaced the headlight switch connector because it was melted and broken from headlight and fog light use.

Thanks for the help. Danny