Power amp w/out cutting through firewall ('07)

blackraven

Aug 19, 2006
Trenton, NJ
Here's my situation...

I had a '06 which I ran power from the battery through the "nipple" like grommet in the firewall to the trunk. Long story short, the car leaked due to poor body welds...the dealership wanted to write the car off as a lemon, Ford said the leak was from the wire (it wasn't, but would take 6-12 months to fight & prove my side, in the mean time I'm stuck w/ a wet moldy car).

Anyways, the dealership traded out my old '06 for an '07...

I still have the sub, amp, etc from the old car crying out to me to be reinstalled...but there's no way I'm going to cut through the firewall again (never knowing what could happen).

So my question: is there any other route to run a power line from the battery to the trunk w/out cutting through the firewall? Or is there another power source I could tap into (not likely, but curious)?

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

You could wire it on the outside via "Back to the Future" delorean style. No seriously, I really don't see any other route to take besides going thru the firewall and there is not really other power sources to tap into if you have an amp that demands a lot of power. What gauge wire are you using? And the dealership saying a amp power line is causing the leaks is retarded. They always look for scapegoats to blame other than themselves or the vehicle. You can always run the wire thru and then apply some silicone to fill any tiny air gaps.

There should really be no need to cut thru the firewall but run the wire thru an exisiting hole. I was able to do that on my 04 thru a bundle of wires that went thru the firewall above the steering wheel rod. But again, that will depend on what gauge wire you use.

Well I mean worse come to worse can't you install the sub and amp the the way you want, and then just ask a pro shop or something like circuit city to run the wire through the firewall? :shrug:
But it is ridiculous that they thought that a small hole like that was the culprit, in my 66 i've got holes in my firewall 2 or 3, and besides a bit of air and some noise, nothing comes through them.

Or you can use those weather proof connector that summit racing sells
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...1431&N=700+400304+4294843864+115&autoview=sku
Not sure if that s what you had before.

im trying to install my 2 - 12inch subs with my amp and i got the Mach 460 sound system and i wanted to know if i had to by-pass the amp that is already in the mustang or i could use it to run my mids..

The leak wasn't from the hole (I had silicon sealed it), but it was considered a "modification" to the car...so it was enough for Ford's engineer to say that was the problem. I had video of multiple other body seals leaking the water in (nothing from the wire hole) but it would be my dollar & time to fight it. The dealership had watched the video, so they knew what was really going on, which is how I got a fair trade to the '07...

Yah I know what you mean, I'm not totally familiar with newer mustangs but on the 66 you can run it under the chasis if you really wanted to , and then bring it into the trunk where the hole is for the reverse lights, but again, I wouldn't do it if it were me.
Either that or try and squeeze it in where the other wires come into the cabin. (shrug)

Every 2005 and up Mustang that I've installed amps in I always run the power wire through the existing large grommet on the passenger side of the firewall. I use a 1/2" aluminum tube with one end cut at an agle to push through the rubber grommet (from the inside) next to the factory wires. Once the tube is through the grommet I feed a couple of feet of the wire through the tube, then simply pull the tube back out of the grommet, leaving the wire with a nice tight seal around it. I've been using this method daily for 11 years and have never had a customer come back with a leaking problem due to the power wire.

These seem like a good idea. Ive worked with the kind for external battery charger hookups, but not these, same idea.

Cut a hole, seal it and have a water-tight pass-through.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-G1431&view=1&N=700+400304+4294843864

sum-g1431.jpg