Power steering cylinder attachment threads?

Que

Feb 8, 2004
Greetings all. I am new to the world of Mustangs and I have a question about were the power steering assist cylinder attaches to the frame. My car doesn't have power steering so there are no threads in the holes on the bottom of the frame. There is only a hex shaped piece of metal that a thread insert is installed. I bought a couple of thread inserts but my question is
1. How are the thread inserts installed in the frame? and
2. Is there is a special tool needed to install them?

If someone has a photo of the inserts installed on their car then that may help. Please post or e-mail them. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know how they are installed, but I know they can "tear" themselves out, cause mine did. Two frame shops I talked to said the only way to fix it was to section the frame out, weld new bolts/inserts in, then weld it back together.

My solution (not the best - for obvious reasons) was to have somebody weld the bracket to the frame... I didn't have money for the frame section.

i added power steering to my car and the inserts i got didn't "crush" properly.they are aluminum i believe and are supposed to wedge themselves into the opening kind of like a rivet does.either the frame of my car was weak after 30 years or maybe the crush nuts aren't made properly but they never worked good.eventually tack welded the bracket on.

I think the part you are looking for is PS Bracket #3A652. There is an illustration of the P/S assembly on pg 63 of the NPD Catalog. The part is available on page 64 for $12.

Assuming you are not or never will use long tube headers, you could have the bracket welded to the frame in the correct position. Otherwise, you can bolt it on. If you decide to go with Long Tubes, make sure they fit before having the bracket welded on. Sometimes a 1" spacer is required to drop the cylinder mounting location.

-Chuck

The nuts are installed by inserting them into the hole, threading in a well lubed bolt, then tightening them until they "crush", wedging them permanently into place. You can them remove the bolt.

Thanks for the info, everyone. 6T6coupe, I tried the crush method you mentioned and it rounded the hole in the frame. It's not really designed for that kind of torque. Have you actually done this succesfully? Maybe I was doing something incorrectly.

que,thats what the "crush" nuts did on my car.they were in there but not right.eventually had the bracket welded on.my guess is that the crushnuts aren't from
the original manufacturer or the frame just deteriorates over the years to a point
that the nut can't bite into it.