Predator question for those in the know..

Jpjr

Aug 5, 2004
1. Is it true that Ford can check your car's computer to tell when the last time its been 'flashed', and then check against their records? (i.e. if you needed warranty work and re-installed the original tune Ford would be able to tell anyway and thus void your warranty?)

2. I also heard that Ford will 're-flash' your computer every time you take it in for service meaning your predator will be unable to read the computer anymore and you will have to obtain a new code.

-I was thinking about getting a Predator, eventually will, but not if its going to screw me at the dealer. Throwing away too much money to risk that right now.

• Sponsors (?)

1). It's possible but that is the first I've heard of it.

2). No they don't just reflash for the hell of it, they will if part of your service includes reflashing (99 recall, ECU update/replacement). It isn't that common. Also as stated in the predator manual, put your factory tune back on before taking the car back into Ford for warranty work.

Partshopper shipped me a predator for my 99 very quickly. A great $400 investment. Next year I'm getting a wideband so I can play more :)

Jpjr said:
1. Is it true that Ford can check your car's computer to tell when the last time its been 'flashed', and then check against their records? (i.e. if you needed warranty work and re-installed the original tune Ford would be able to tell anyway and thus void your warranty?)

2. I also heard that Ford will 're-flash' your computer every time you take it in for service meaning your predator will be unable to read the computer anymore and you will have to obtain a new code.

-I was thinking about getting a Predator, eventually will, but not if its going to screw me at the dealer. Throwing away too much money to risk that right now.

1. No

2. No

U.M.

P.S. Can't believe you're worried about them possibly discovering you used a Predator! I'd be more worried the service manager would notice your MAC 95MM MAF you've got installed! Some dealers will void your warranty for messing with the electonics like that! That's pretty obvious, unlike the Predator....

Uncle Meat said:
1. No

2. No

U.M.

P.S. Can't believe you're worried about them possibly discovering you used a Predator! I'd be more worried the service manager would notice your MAC 95MM MAF you've got installed! Some dealers will void your warranty for messing with the electonics like that! That's pretty obvious, unlike the Predator....

It's like chummin' for shark....mention MAC 95MM and you come lurking around.

I take my car to a local non SVT Ford dealer, and they assumed everything on the car was factory. I ended up having a lose wire under the hood.

If they checked the ecu it would have been a different story. :D

Uncle Meat said:
1. No

2. No

U.M.

I don't know what your logic is herer. I've already had the car in for warranty work with the MAC, no problem. From everyone I've spoken to, Ford doesn't care about intake or exhaust, just supercharger (including pulleys), tune, and motor. Not to mention how would they know I had a 95mm MAF anyway? It uses the stock sensor, they would have to go out of their way to measure with calipers, which would be baseless.

Just spoke to the tech guy at RPMOutlet. He said that per their discussions with SVT, a pulley change or tune WILL void the factory warranty (if detected). A new CAI WILL NOT. He also said the same thing as I in that Ford would have no way of knowing that the MAF was larger without measuring, which they would have no reason to do in the first place.

Look.... I not trying to get into a peeing match over this. I feel that a 95MM MAF is easier to spot than a Predator tune. Duh. I have seen 03 Cobra warranties voided because there was excessive rubber in the rear-wheel wells for cripes sake! Another guys got voided because his spark plugs had a red tint to them and they claimed he'd been using octane boost. I'm sure you guys have heard the horror stories... Some service departments turn a blind eye to mods, some are anal!

My service advisor told me that as long as my CAI was C.A.R.B. certified I was okay. Same with my headers. He said adding a pulley or a chip would void the warranty though. It's all about the dealer that you use.

I was only stating what I think/thought was very obvious, that the MAC 95MM Straight Shot MAF/CAI would be easier to spot then a Predator tune. I mean holy smokes guys... unless your mechanic is blind how could he not miss that polished aluminum MAF housing!!!!! BLING! BLING! Baby!

U.M.

P.S. There are CAI's, and there are MAF's. CAI's are generally tolerated by service departments.

Uncle Meat said:
Look.... I not trying to get into a peeing match over this. I feel that a 95MM MAF is easier to spot than a Predator tune. Duh. I have seen 03 Cobra warranties voided because there was excessive rubber in the rear-wheel wells for cripes sake! Another guys got voided because his spark plugs had a red tint to them and they claimed he'd been using octane boost. I'm sure you guys have heard the horror stories... Some service departments turn a blind eye to mods, some are anal!

My service advisor told me that as long as my CAI was C.A.R.B. certified I was okay. Same with my headers. He said adding a pulley or a chip would void the warranty though. It's all about the dealer that you use.

I was only stating what I think/thought was very obvious, that the MAC 95MM Straight Shot MAF/CAI would be easier to spot then a Predator tune. I mean holy smokes guys... unless your mechanic is blind how could he not miss that polished aluminum MAF housing!!!!! BLING! BLING! Baby!

U.M.

P.S. There are CAI's, and there are MAF's. CAI's are generally tolerated by service departments.

Point well taken. To respond, my only point was that unless a regular Ford mechanic owned a Cobra, he would have generally not know the difference between the MAC and any other aftermarket CAI. And of course, if I had any engine related warranty work I would throw the stock one back on just to avoid the issue all together :)