Progress Thread Prime's 87 T-top Gt

• Sponsors (?)

My farm is just north of Franklin VA....not too far from Waverly....and Wakefield across 460. Portsmouth isn't that far from there.

Sad to hear about your paint. That car looked really good in your pics.

Here we are again. Car hasn't been started in 18 months. Thankfully in that time it's been safe inside a garage again. Something needs to happen with it. Had to buy a new battery. Changed the oil. She fired right up. Like she didn't miss a beat.

I rolled both of the rear fenders. The 275s out back still rub. Though at least I'm not taking chucks out of the tires anymore. I think I just need to go to 245s on all 4 corners. Either that or change the wheels, which I don't want to do.

I'm out in Colorado now. Have been since September of 2018. And this has presented me with a problem. Where I live in CO requires emissions testing. This thing has an off road H-Pipe, no smog pump, and currently no catback since I didn't ever get it done when I put the IRS in. So it's not street legal here. :poo:, it sill has the VA antique tags on it.

I've thought about selling it a few times. Because its still sitting. But at the same time, I need a daily. I have a lifted Xterra on mud tires. and driving that to work every day is putting lots of miles/wear on it that I don't need.

I think about just dumping it sometimes. The title says "water damage" on it. So I won't be able to get worthwhile money for it.

It's going to cost me $2k just to get the exhaust/smog situation sorted so I can register it. And I have to pull the dash because the mix door on the HVAC is seized and I accidentally stripped the plastic gear in the HVAC controls trying to break it loose. The cooling system needs a good refresh. And it currently has no air conditioning, which we desperately need in the summer here. It still doesn't have any interior in it, but I have everything I need to put it back together.

But I keep thinking. This car has been through hell and back. But a fresh battery and she's ready to go again. I need a reliable daily? Why not this? Sure, it doesn't work when it snows. Which it does here. A lot. But I have a 4WD truck for that. Is there any reason I can't drive this wonderful car 20 mintues to work every day I can? Get 30MPG highway (because at 60MPH, a fox can do that). Everything but the body has been replaced. Engine, Transmission, rear end, front end, everything.

This :poo: keeps me up at night.

As I sit on the workbench in my garage, staring at this thing. I still don't know what do to.

20200308_162541.jpg

• Drool
Reactions: 1 user
Is it just emission testing, or is there also a visual inspection to ensure required components are present? If only the former, I’m fairly certain a few members here pass emissions just fine without the original smog equipment while running modern catalytic converters.

I would look into the local requirements and go from there. I wouldn't get rid of the car. The fact that it started right up almost shows that it wants to run!

Is it just emission testing, or is there also a visual inspection to ensure required components are present? If only the former, I’m fairly certain a few members here pass emissions just fine without the original smog equipment while running modern catalytic converters.

I would look into the local requirements and go from there. I wouldn't get rid of the car. The fact that it started right up almost shows that it wants to run!
On a vehicle this old, I'm told it's both. On OBD II cars where they can just plug in they just sniff it and use the computer. Because OBD I they do a physical inspection also. But I do need to reach out to the inspection people and find out for sure.

On a vehicle this old, I'm told it's both. On OBD II cars where they can just plug in they just sniff it and use the computer. Because OBD I they do a physical inspection also. But I do need to reach out to the inspection people and find out for sure.
Best bet is to talk directly to the inspectors. Is vehicle inspection run entirely by the state, or do they delegate it to licensed shops like here in Texas?

Before my 93 was emissions exempt (25yrs. here in CT.) test was just a sniffer.
Always passed with no problem only running 2 high flow cats and functioning EGR, no smog pump or air tube.

Best bet is to talk directly to the inspectors. Is vehicle inspection run entirely by the state, or do they delegate it to licensed shops like here in Texas?
It's some wierd amalgamation of both. It's run by the state, but they have an exclusive contract with a 3rd party company. There's an office right by work. I think I'll run over there this week and ask.

You can legally get HIGH as a kite, but you better have your inspection sticker on the kite! :nonono: Nice car. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I was so glad when I moved out of an inspection state. Alabama doesn't car as long as the tint isn't to dark. :nono:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Got confirmation from the inspector today. Non OBD II vehicles require a visual inspection to ensure that all OE emissions systems are intact and functioning.

Then I talked to a neighbor. He said it'd worth a shot to get the exhaust done, take it in and see if they pop the hood.

This is back on the table again. I'm doing a major overhaul on the suspension of my Xterra. As soon as that's done, the Mustang will be next. I haven't done anything with it since last year. Well. I welded the parking brake handle for the disc brakes. Finally.

But I'm determined. I want to drive it. I miss driving it.

Still no smog pump. Plus I have to play some catalytic games now. But I've got a fix for that. The real question.

Do I do what I have always wanted to and put longtubes and a catted h pipe on it? $2k. Or do I not bother with the headers, replace the H-pipe with one that looks stock so there's less questions and do the cat back. $1k.

The 04 Cobra cat back I want is $800 either way. But I can leave the shorties on it with a full 4-cat H pipe for cheap. It'll look stock and will be less likely to bring questions.

The alternate is BBK longtubes and catted H for a grand. But will it pass a sniffer? Will that make the inspector do a more through look? I don't know.

Dilema. But I want to drive this thing as often as possible.

Not sure why that feels REALLY passive aggressive. :scratch:

The cat back was always the same no matter what. It's the stuff in the middle that has the potential to be complicated.

Reactions: 1 users