Problem: My horn sounds when I turn

Gellpak

Nov 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I had to replace my turn signal/horn switch in my '66 in order to get the horn working again, which I've just completed. However now the horn sounds at times when I'm turning the steering wheel, which as you can imagine causes plenty of embarassment. Makes my car look "old" rather than a "classic". Anyway, I've heard that there is something that can be done by adjusting a gap in the steering wheel at some point, but I don't know how to do that... anyone else had this problem that can help?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a stock steering wheel, or is it a aftermarket one? It may be that you just need some dielectric grease or other type of lubrication. Unfortanetly i don't know anything about adjusting the gap in the steering wheel, but if it is a Grant steering wheel then the instructions should have went over how to do that. If you really don't like it then you can remove the fuse that is related to the horn, temporarily until you get it figured out.

Good Luck :nice:

Gellpak said:
Definitely my horn. Stock '66 wheel.

My brother's car had this problem once and if i remember correctly, there is a little white plastic thingy that was just about broken. When the wheel would turn, it didn't have enough strength to stay in the proper position and would trigger the horn. Its been so long since I've seen the inside of the wheel I honestly don't remember if thats correct or not.

Bun

BunBun said:
there is a little white plastic thingy that was just about broken.

From your description it sounds like you are talking about the turn signal cam. But that wouldnt cause the horn to go off :shrug:

Gellpak, do you have a Ford Manual? not the chilton or other kinds.

crushnut said:
Charlies, what else would it be? I think the guy knows what his horn sounds like and when it is going off, at least i hope he does :p

sorry i wasn't more clear. if it's not his horn, it must be other drivers honking at him because: they like his car, he drives badly, there is a leg hanging out of his trunk, etc...

it's a joke, (thus the 'lol') :nice:

crushnut said:
From your description it sounds like you are talking about the turn signal cam. But that wouldnt cause the horn to go off :shrug:

Gellpak, do you have a Ford Manual? not the chilton or other kinds.

I'm pretty sure I just replaced the cam anyway.

And yes, I have a 1966 "Comet, Falcon, Fairlane, and Mustang Shop Manual", but I'm not finding much in here to address the problem...

hmm :scratch: I cant think of why it would be going off when you turn. Is it both directions or just left or right? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than i on this can help you, if it were me i would just take out the fuse until i figured it out.

Does the steering wheel turn smoothly, or is it rough to turn/not feel right, like it is catching or hitting on something?

It turns as it always has, but its just that at a certain point on a pretty hard left turn it sounds, but not completely consistently. Does this more often when the wheel is traveling back to center than when I'm making the turn out.

Gellpak said:
It turns as it always has, but its just that at a certain point on a pretty hard left turn it sounds, but not completely consistently. Does this more often when the wheel is traveling back to center than when I'm making the turn out.

Here's a shot in the dark.. Could the spring holding the horn button up be weak causing contact to be made sometimes?

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen this problem on a couple of 65's. One was a pinched wire. As you turned the steering wheel, one of the wires got pinched causing a short. When you turned the wheel back, everything looked okay. The other one was caused by large cracks in the steering wheel where the metal plates are attached. The wheel had expanded due to the cracks and the metal rings were no longer held in place. There again, it resulted in a short. Since the problem didn't start until after you replaced the switch, I would look for a shorted wire.