Problem with tranny, synchros bad?

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
Hi Guys,

I was driving the other day and all of a sudden I felt a vibration in the clutch pedal as I was coming to a light. Stopped, I couldn't put it into any gear and finally forced it into 1st and the clutch was barely grabbing with the pedal almost all the way off the floor. The clutch was slipping like crazy and I barely rolled into the parking lot and got it towed home.

So initially, i'm thinking my clutch cable needs adjusting. I have a Maximum Motorsports FWA, Quadrant, and cable which is about 2 and some years now. I thought I would need to tighten the cable up (turning FWA counter-clockwise so more threads are showing) if I understand correctly. But that didn't seem to help, it's still hard to go into any gear and when I did get it driving the clutch is slipping like crazy. When I put more slack in the cable it slips less and I can drive it a bit better without all of the gears giving me trouble (this makes sense).

The clutch is engaging about halfway off the floor right now. While the car is driveable 1st and 2nd gear are giving me problems. If i'm completely stopped I can't get it into 1st gear at all, I have to either jam it in there with all my might or go through all the gears to get there. However if I am at a really slow roll I can quickly put it into first (sometimes i'll feel something turning in my shifter and it'll kick me out though). 2nd gear is a bigger problem... say im coming around a corner and go to downshift into 2nd I can't. I'll have to almost come to a complete stop to get it into 1st gear... not cool.

By the way, if the car is off, it's not hard at all to go into gear. Sometimes that's the only way I can get it into gear.

Anyway, I know the clutch definately need to be changed because of the slipping. But I can't imagine how 2 separate issues could happen at the same time? Do you think the synchros in the transmission could be bad? I'd like to think it was just an adjustment issue with the cable but nothing I do makes the gears go in better or like they should. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

It's definately not the transmission, it's a clutch issue. If you keep driving it like that you, could break the transmission though. Because it happened instantly like that, I'm leaning towards your throwout bearing. It sounds like your throwout bearing broke, and it isn't disengaging the clutch all the way. You won't know until you take that transmission out.

Kurt