Project Blue Balls(PBB) gets underway

Ok, Ok so I lied. This will not be my last post in this thread. I got 95% of the car done. It looks dusty, and the weather really sucked up here. So I wasn't able to get any good clean pics of the car. I only got 4 pics today, the battery in my camera died. Here it is. Oh yeah, 1 more thing. The side skirts weren't installed when I took the pics. They are on now, but like I said I'll get better pics Monday or Tuesday.
Please, honest opinons!!!!!

Pbb31.JPG

Pbb32.JPG

Pbb33.JPG

Pbb34.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

GreenMustangGt said:
do you need the guns with the bottle over the nozzle? The one i have has the paint bottle below. I am about to paint my car and have a few questions. This is my first time. i just bought some primer, and he said they have the kind that is porous and the kind that has a moother finish? i bought the first kind, do i need to put on the "finisher" type primer before i paint? Next, how many coats of primer should i use, and how long should i wait between coats? i bought it at napa. Then what grit should i use to sand it before the base coat? i am going to paint it black, do you think a gallon of paint and the reducer that you mix it with will be enough for the car? Next, after the base, do i need to sand it, and what grit? How many coats of base and how long should i wait between coats? same for the clear? i would really appreciate any help you could give me, because ive never painted a car before.

The gun above the nozzle is called a gravity gun, and the gun that has the pot below the gun is a siphon fed gun. Both are good guns, but I like the gravity fed gun.

The porus primer is gonna be your high build primer. 3 possibly 4 coats will do. The time between coats is 5 to 10 minutes. Waut about 1.3 hours per coat before you sand the primer. Example is 3 coats, wait aproximently 4 hours before you sand. I would use p400 to p500 grit to sand your primer.

The base coat all depends on the color and type of paint you use. With black I would put 2 to 3 coats on, waiting again, 5 to 10 minutes. You don't have to sand between coats or sand between base and clear. I would use a tack rag between coats and between base-clear.

Now on to clear coat. Wait about 15 to 20 minutes before you clear. Usually 2 coats will do. If you find you have alot of dirt in your clear, go with a third due to the fact your going to want to polish it afterwards so you will have something to polish. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes between coats of clear. After your done clear coating, let it sit overnight to cure, unless you have a booth and bake it at about 160 degrees.

And Voila.....a nice slick black stang.

ARBOC

Ok this is the end to a wonderful project that I enjoyed very much.
Can you pick out the diffrences?
I got the car all cleaned up and ready to go. I got to drive it home today after about 4 weeks of working weekends and late at night.

Here is a before picture also.

Jayscarsmall.jpg

Here is the car today at the shop.

Pbb35.JPG

A guy at work goofing off!! :D
Pbb36.JPG

Pbb37.JPG

Pbb38.JPG

Pbb39.JPG

The car at Home sweet home
Pbb40.JPG

Pbb41.JPG

Pbb42.JPG

Pbb43.JPG

Pbb44.JPG

That is absolutely sick. That color is amazing. I can't say enough good things...

I don't know if this was covered before, but where did you paint it? It looks like you had access to a paint booth. If that is true, do you have a true "dust free enviroment"

If not, what did you do to prevent any dust from collecting and ruining the paint.

Subscribing BTW. Lots of great info.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
That is absolutely sick. That color is amazing. I can't say enough good things...

I don't know if this was covered before, but where did you paint it? It looks like you had access to a paint booth. If that is true, do you have a true "dust free enviroment"

If not, what did you do to prevent any dust from collecting and ruining the paint.

Subscribing BTW. Lots of great info.
Scott

I actually paint cars for a living. I work at a dealership up here in Canada. I had access to the booth after hours. I did have an insurance claim for the left side of the car, so I figured why the heck not freshen the color up a bit.
I eliminated the dust by blowing the floors off before I put the car in the booth, blowing the car off before going into the booth and after it was in the booth. Then degreasing the whole car. I then wet down the floor and the walls, then degreased the whole car again. Then I used a tac rag to wipe the car down, twice

I do want to lower it but I don't know what springs to get. I only want to go about an inch due to the fact I'm installing my long tube headers and x pipe this weekend.
What do you guys suggest?
REMEMBER, only around an inch or so!!!

ARBOC said:
It's the factory Ford color code "KF" by Standox.

looks pretty hott. I wanted to paint my car this yr but it just wasent going to happen. I was going to go w/ a cobalt kandy blue base coat and sapphire blue, was going to be real real dark blue. Havent given up on that idea it will just have to come later on.

The rims appear to be Saleen's and probably 18 X 7 is my guess.

What did you use as a degreaser? The stuff I get at work works great, literally eats grime for breakfast, but idk what the best stuff to use is in this application.

And what do you mean by tac rag? I haven't heard of it before. I assume it's a specific rag and I don't want to get it wrong (painting my car in the near future, and if mine came out like yours :drool: :drool: :drool: )

There are 2 colors that I would trade my black car for, and yours is one of them. The other is GM's metallic sunset orange (like the 02 firebirds/camaro's)
Scott