Proper set up for fan and shroud

other_shoe

May 4, 2007
I went to install my recently acquired seven blade fan and clutch to replace the six blade aftermarket that has been on there since I got the car.

To my surprise, the fan would not clear an auxiliary pulley that is mounted to my dual sheeve crankshaft pulley. I've meant to get rid of that pulley, which sticks out another 1.5 inches past where a triple sheeve would for a while, but it never bugged me enough and was a bit of a hassle to access.

I've got everything back together in the configuration that has been on the car for the past twenty years, but it is now clear to me that the fan may be on an extra long spacer and sitting much further inside the shroud than it should be.

I'd much appreciate if someone could give me the measurement between the fan and radiator when properly set up. Also, pictures would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

AC046.jpg

Those pictures are quite helpful.

Pony 66, I'll check again tomorrow, but I think my shroud is more like 2 or 2.5 inches. The car was something of a hodge-podge when I got it (66 horn button, 68 doors, 66 rearview mirror, 68 deluxe gas cap, etc. on a 67), so even though I'm pretty sure from the marks that it is a Ford part, I'll have to check to see if it is from the right year.

I looks like I can get something quite close to the configuration 2+2 has in his picture after I get rid of the auxiliary pulley on the crank.

Two follow up questions:

First, how many sheeves should I have on the upper and lower pulleys for factory air with power steering. I believe I have all of the parts plus the proper holes, so if I'm playing musical chairs with the pulleys I'd like to get things set up properly.

Second, 2+2, what is that being driven by the third (outermost) sheeve on the water pump pulley? Emission control?

Thanks for all of the help.

First, how many sheaves should I have on the upper and lower pulleys for factory air with power steering. I believe I have all of the parts plus the proper holes, so if I'm playing musical chairs with the pulleys I'd like to get things set up properly.

Second, 2+2, what is that being driven by the third (outermost) sheave on the water pump pulley? Emission control?

The water pump pulley should be two-sheave, and the crank three.

On that car, the third water pump sheave drives the Thermactor (smog) pump.