Prothane vs Energy Suspension engine mounts

Kumm3

Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
East Hartford, CT
Pretty sure this is tech.

Anyways, as a few people were interested in the difference between the two, and going on rumor that the Energy Suspension mounts were lower than Prothane, i decided to buy them to compare the two.

I had a pair of Prothanes on my car already, and my intake wouldnt clear my stock hood, so i needed to "relieve" the hood about the TPS sensor by about 1/8" to get the thing to close.

So, wanting to run a stock hood because i wanted my car "LOOKING" stock, my new energy suspension mounts came in today, along with my new K Member, making this easier to compare

Long story short, the engine will sit about 1/2" LOWER with the Energy suspension mounts over the Prothanes. While this doesnt matter to some, was a big deal for me. If you already have a taller than usual engine set up, be it taller intake, intake spacer, 351, etc, it would be beneficial to spend the extra 40 bucks to get the energy suspension mounts.

I had the K member on the floor, and with the ES mount installed, the height to the engine mounting point was about 11.50", and it was about 12" with the prothane mounts.

Also, interesting side note, the ES mounts are a bit lighter as well, cant explain why, but you can tell if you hold both of them in your hands.

YES I WILL HAVE PICS TO SUPPORT THIS LATER!!!

Hope this helps you guys. Looks like ill be selling some very lightly used Prothane mounts in the next week, haha.

• Sponsors (?)

Great info. Thanks
Kevin

Agreed. :nice:

This will help the 94-95 crowd as well, with the low hood lines.

Let me ask: did you happen to buy a trans mount as well? I have a mismatched set of spares (ES motor mounts and Prothane trans mount) and had been concerned that the driveline angle could take a dump from mixing the two flavors..... I've been meaning to take the Prothane to the parts store to compare with a new ES trans mount but never seem to remember..........

Agreed. :nice:

This will help the 94-95 crowd as well, with the low hood lines.

Let me ask: did you happen to buy a trans mount as well? I have a mismatched set of spares (ES motor mounts and Prothane trans mount) and had been concerned that the driveline angle could take a dump from mixing the two flavors..... I've been meaning to take the Prothane to the parts store to compare with a new ES trans mount but never seem to remember..........

I was thinking this same thing today actually. but then i realized i had a ES trans mount, so my fears werent realized.

Here are the pics. I tried getting things as identical between the two mounts as possible.

First, from the front - Energy Suspension

mount1.jpg

From the front - Prothane

mount2.jpg

Mount leveled, from the side with straightedge - Energy Suspension

mount3.jpg

Side with Prothane

mount4.jpg

Side by side, Energy Suspension on left, Prothane on right

mount5.jpg

mount6.jpg

mount7.jpg