Proud new owner of 95GT

lietuvis91

Aug 4, 2004
NO, LA
Hey Everyone,
I just baught a 95 Mustang GT 5spd, and I'm new to these forums. My stang's got 40k miles on it and is in a super clean condition. Seems like it hasn't been driven for a while, hence the low milege. This passed weekend me and my friends flushed out the cooling system like 7 times to get the water to come out clean. Changed fuel filter. Changed engine oil and transmission, both fluids looked horrible. Used 10w-30 Partial synthetic for the engine should be good. The few problems it has is these: tach is off by 1000 rpms cuz it stays on 1000 when the car is off. There's lot's of free play in the steering wheel and the wheel seems to vibrate when driving at any speed, highway is more noticeable. Also pulls to the right. The car came with 2.5 in piping from the headers on, no cats, but has the STOCK FORD mufflers :shrug: . Why would someone do that??? I get some backfiring when i rev over 4k and i think that either the exhaust or spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires are to blame. I'm going to replace the spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires first and then see if that helps. Thinking of going ford racing parts for everting. Clutch is stiff as a mofo and the shifter is super notchy. I'll get the ford racing adjustible clutch cable first. I know this got long, sorry! But can you guys recommend some solutions for some of my problems. And let me know which parts you guys like better for some of the stuff i'm going to get, i just don't wanna get crap!!!

By the way i LOVE how easy it is to work on these things!!! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the boards
gotpics.gif
:D . The spark plugs Motor craft or Autolites are good. Cap and rotor Accel works fine, now for the plug wires I just recently bought the MSD 8.5 super conductors and must say the are a perfect fit :nice: . I had the ford motor sports but after doing some research most people just had way to many problems with them failing and they are very long where as the msds are a perfect fit.
lietuvis91 said:
The car came with 2.5 in piping from the headers on, no cats, but has the STOCK FORD mufflers :shrug: Why would someone do that???
Not to bright I guess :shrug:
ietuvis91 said:
Thinking of going ford racing parts for everting
Not always the best choice there're other companys that produce better products(msd 8.5 wires :nice: ).

Congrats on the purchase! The fun has just begun. Seems you have quite a few issues to work out. You seem to be approaching it correctly though. I would do as you said and troubleshoot the backfiring with the new distributor cap/wires/plugs. Next I would clean the maf sensor with some brake cleaner, if that got dirty or oiled (K&N filter) then could be causing some issues. As for the exhaust it sounds like you have some long tube headers to the factory cat backs. I'm assuming that you still have the O2 sensors in these. Is the rest of the engine stock?
As for suspension, check tie rods and ball joints first, and the condition of the tires, sounds like you may have issues with both.
Also sounds like you need a clutch. I went through a lot of this over the winter when I picked up my 95. I went with the King Cobra clutch. Like it alot.

Congratulations on the purchase of your Mustang, and welcome to Stangnet! I joined here back in 2002 (right before I purchased my first Mustang) and have enjoyed every minute that I have been on here. Everyone is very friendly, and always willing to help; I believe you will feel the same way too. :nice:

When I first purchased my car, I had the same problem as you with the backfiring. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and fuel filter (which I see you already replaced) and it went away for the most part.

I still have a little popping in the exhaust when I rev fast, but I think it has to do with going from a 2.5" x-pipe into 2.25 flowtubes, mufflers and tailpipes.

Sounds like a sweetr ride...30k...Damn good score...

The exhaust popping is somewhat common when you do an H pipe...since the cats are off, thats prolly the culprit...mine always did the popping deal once I threw and H on it...Thats why I took it off... :D hate that chit....downshift into 3rd about 50 or so and I bet that thing sounds off bigtime.... :bang:

Welcome to the forum....

Damn 40k miles, must be nice! :D. Kinda surprising it has all those problems with that low of mileage. But nothing that sounds too hard to fix, just a good tune-up should take care of it.

What's your first mod going to be? Hmmmm? AFR165's is a good start... :jester:

Dave

:hail2:
Thank you all for the support!!! From what I've, read so far on these forums heads would give me the biggest bump in HP. So After I get all the BS resolved w/ the Stang then next will be heads and cams. Wytstang, thanks for the info on spark plug wires :nice: . That's exactly what i wanted to know, so i don't end up buying junk and having to replace it again. I'll try to get new mufflers to even out the exhaust flow, thinking of going w/ borla cuz they flow realy well, and aren't overly loud. I can already tell that some old farts in my neighberhood will complain about the *NOISE* ( :bs: ) the car makes. Anyone have any experience w/ steeda clutch cables, good or bad??? It'll be either steeda or Ford racing. I am planning to get a new clutch soon, but will attempt the clutch cable first to see if that makes a difference. I already baught MotorCraft plugs, going in this weekend. Hopefully i'll have the cap, rotor and wires to put in by this weekend too. So far the car's been a blast! I wish I had a digicam to post pics.

Thank you guys soo much!!! :flag:

I just read a writeup on turbomustangs.com by a gentleman who tried two steeda clutch cables in a matter of weeks, only to have them fail. He finally broke down and spent the money on a Ford one and its been fine for two years and going strong.

congrats on the stang and welcome to the boards!

:D :D Congratulations on your "Stang". One suggestion: Keep it as original as you can(if that is the way you like them). I bought my Rio Red vert in 95 and it now has just a tick over 5,000 miles on it. It will keep it's original parts and it's place in my garage as long as I'm alive. Mark

Marks01L said:
:D :D Congratulations on your "Stang". One suggestion: Keep it as original as you can(if that is the way you like them). I bought my Rio Red vert in 95 and it now has just a tick over 5,000 miles on it. It will keep it's original parts and it's place in my garage as long as I'm alive. Mark

:OT: That is just nuts. Only 5k on the odometer? How often do you drive the car????

As for the clutch, it is likely due to a bad pressure plate. Take it easy on the clutch until you get it fixed. When my clutch blew up (throw out bearing just fell apart), I had to drive the car w/o using the clutch. That was fun!!!

Are you going to do the work on the car yourself? If you are, do a search on this forum & you should find plenty of information.

Now, onto the good stuff. Aftermarket aluminum heads are the best engine upgrade you can do. But you need to do the cam and intake at the same time. They work very well together, and you will be extremely pleased once you are done. There are tons of threads on which heads/cam/intake combos to get.

The search feature will help you tremendously. A lot of new people forget about it so I wanted to reiterate that.

Get some pics up ASAP!!!
Scott