Pulling the motor . . . do I NEEED to remove the driveshaft??

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I have the engine ready to yank but the crossmember and driveshaft are still intact. The 4 bolts at the rearend are giving me a hard time. I broke two loose with the breaker bar, but the other two just won't budge (damn your thread-lock Scott!) The stupid 12-point is annoying to keep from skipping too. At this point, I took a look at how much room I have and it really looks like I can probably just pull the motor out and let the yoke slide out as I lift it and have somebody guide it from below. This way I can deal with trying to remove it later. IS this doable, has anyone done that?

• Sponsors (?)

Pick up the cheapest propane torch you can from your local hardware store. Give the bolts some heat, and they should break free no problem. That will work either way when you take the driveshaft off, whether you pull the engine and trans with it still bolted up.

If not attempted already, Matt's idea above is the key. That's the factory recommended method of removal, IIRC.

Good luck John.

PS: You picked some good temps to do this in. :puke:

so your pulling the engine out with the tranny attached? make sure you have enough guys to help keep it steady cause that is going to unbalanced as h3ll. i would unbolt the bellhousing from the block and try and slip the engine forward with a jack stand or jack holding up the tranny.

but in reality if you want the best way, get some heat and some PB Blaster to break those bolts loose. i remember when i did my exhaust i had those damn bolts glowing red with a cutting torch to get them off.

Yeah I'm ready for the ATF pool. I wish it was like my Bronco where the tranny pan has a sump and drain plug :(

I'll try the PB blaster. I'm a little weary of PB blaster + torch though. Isn't PB blaster volitile?

As for the weather . . . it was so hot yesterday and the sun was son strong, the engine parts were too hot to touch after a couple hours of sun beating down on the motor. The motor oil even came out hot :eek: I wouldn't be suprised if it was 115+ right over the driveway where my car is sitting, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

you dont have to remove it to pull the motor/trans. just like you i couldnt get my d/s bolts out so i went ahead and just pulled the motor trans with the d/s in place. i also re-installed the motor/trans without removing the d/s. was a little tricky with only 2 ppl but we got it to work

comon, roll up them sleeves and give it some man juice

That's what SHE said muahahahaha eh yeeeeahh bad joke.

So I got those bolts off. It turns out I'm just retarded and was using the wrong socket. I'm damn lucky I didn't strip them too much.

I got the motor out, I'm stoked. A few glitches on the way out though . . .

I started to lift it and realized I forgot about the freaking clutch cable :mad: took all of 5 minutes to get it off but I felt pretty stupid.

I lifted some more untill the heads were barely higher than the fenders and it snagged on something. I couldn't see anything and I got a sinking feeling as I realized I pulled something even Guero probably wouldn't have . . . I'll let you guys guess what I did, but I'm almost too ashamed to admit it out loud. :nonono:

Anyway, I'm just glad its out and ready to tear apart, wooohooo! I can hear the 347 calling.

Zero Signal said:
That's what SHE said muahahahaha eh yeeeeahh bad joke.

So I got those bolts off. It turns out I'm just retarded and was using the wrong socket. I'm damn lucky I didn't strip them too much.

I got the motor out, I'm stoked. A few glitches on the way out though . . .

I started to lift it and realized I forgot about the freaking clutch cable :mad: took all of 5 minutes to get it off but I felt pretty stupid.

I lifted some more untill the heads were barely higher than the fenders and it snagged on something. I couldn't see anything and I got a sinking feeling as I realized I pulled something even Guero probably wouldn't have . . . I'll let you guys guess what I did, but I'm almost too ashamed to admit it out loud. :nonono:

Anyway, I'm just glad its out and ready to tear apart, wooohooo! I can hear the 347 calling.
ground strap?

i forgot to unhook my trans harness :doh:

For future searchers, the DS bolts use a 12 point, 12 MM socket as I recall.

Snag: I'm with Urban - I was thinking a ground cable.....

Good luck bud.

P.S. If it makes you feel better, I rebuilt my roof in some spots, tarred those spots and elastomerically sealed the whole thing this week. I've got a nasty burn.