Question about clipping

QuikSilverGT

Jul 13, 2003
I plan on adding an amplifier and a sub to the mustang's stock headunit (non Mach460) but I notice that when I crank the system up, theres a bit of distortion and clipping. Is this clipping enough to damage the subs if I dont change the gain on the amp assuming that I'll be powering a 350watt RMS sub with 200watts from the amp ?

• Sponsors (?)

Too little power will not cause the sub to clip or distort...maybe if you were trying to power a 1000 watt sub with 50 watts... but too much power to the stock speakers could do that for sure. If you are overpowering any speaker component you run the risk of damaging it.

Mmm, I know that underpowering wont damage the subwoofers but I thought clipping can happen at low or high power if your amp is set at too much gain and the preamp signal being weak or distorted?
( Im a bit new to car audio, sorry :X )

actually underpowering a sub can be just as bad as overpowering, if u try and push your sub with an under rated amp the amplifier can clip and damage the sub, too much power is usually better because u can hear the distortion and that way its the speakers distorting not the amp so u can turn it down and save the speaker. as long as you dont go into the distortion range from the stock unit you should be fine and if it happens everyonce in awhile dont let it bother you, just turn it down to save both subs and stock speakers