Question About Replacing Lifters With Trick Flow Heads

93silverlx50

Jun 12, 2017
So I'm battling a nearly not running motor that I have a rather lengthy thread about. It appears that I have at least half of my lifters that are stuck or frozen in the up position. I'm trying to figure out if I have to remove the Trick Flow heads to replace the lifters. I've read yes and no along with lots of threads where people never followed up after they completed their repairs, just looking for someone with good input, specifically regarding TF heads.

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm battling a nearly not running motor that I have a rather lengthy thread about. It appears that I have at least half of my lifters that are stuck or frozen in the up position. I'm trying to figure out if I have to remove the Trick Flow heads to replace the lifters. I've read yes and no along with lots of threads where people never followed up after they completed their repairs, just looking for someone with good input, specifically regarding TF heads.

I swapped a few today so I answered my own question, no you dont

Reactions: 1 user
They slide right out and back in. I've got some unknown issues in the backside of the motor which doesn't make them rise or fall when I crank the motor. I also found a crack the length of the valley today...

They slide right out and back in. I've got some unknown issues in the backside of the motor which doesn't make them rise or fall when I crank the motor. I also found a crack the length of the valley today...
It sounds as though the camshaft has broken in two. Completely worn away lobes, are rare with roller lifters, and dang near unlikely for more than one lobe in a given case. I have seen, however, cases where a cam lobe had been worn off to completely round; this was common many years ago in Chevy. small blocks. I would pull out all the lifters, pull off the front eng. accessories, then the Harmonic Balancer and front cover, chain & sprockets, and slide the camshaft out. It may be shorter now.....imp

Time to plan on a new engine. The crack in the lifter valley happens just before the block splits in half. This is common with engines that have pressurized induction and have been run at power level for 450 HP.

Reactions: 1 user